Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Dec 10, 2019 4:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 9:31 pm 
paddler

Hi: Seems I will occasionally use my Aerius 2 (1988) as a single. Where should I start with seat position? Luckily I have a Longhaul comfort seat from an Aerius I that I can strap in until I get best location. Then I can drill the 1/2" holes to really mount the seats. Logic would say midway between the bow and stern seat, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

Another question- do the seat back cross rods do anything structural? I'm think not much if any - just saw this mentioned in a search I did.

Thanks, Bob Skillman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 7:42 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Bob,
You can put the seat where you want, bearing in mind...
--give yourself enough clearance with any rib, and the existing t-fittings for the seat back on the combing will show you where Klepper intended to put the middle seat
--the seat back definitely lends structurally to the stiffness of the combing, especially if you are sailing
--Longhaul and Klepper both make a very nice single-seat sprayskirt for the A2. If you ever want to use one of those then you need to locate the seat where it was intended.

Good luck!

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:51 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Bob, Have you tried paddling from the rear seat? I have paddled from the rear seat for forty years and never found it to be a problem.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 10:57 pm 
paddler

Recently picked up an older Aerius II, haven't paddled it but have a Folbot Greenland II and it paddles well from the rear position as long as I add some weight to the front seat area to trim the boat correctly. As long as I use the rudder it paddles as well a single. Without a rudder a central position might help. For sailing I would use the rear position.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:57 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I paddle and sail from the rear seat and I manage ok although I often forget to put a weight up front. The big disadvantage of sailing from the rear seat is that the lee boards are out of reach. So perhaps I should move forward and the foot pedals.