Quattro

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Quattro

Post by john allsop »

I bought myself a Quattro skin for my Aerius 2. Simple question, is there a correct order to inflate the sponsons ?. Bottom first or top first.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Quattro

Post by gbellware »

John,
Klepper says to inflate the upper sponsons first, here is the factory sheet (probably unchanged for at least 50 years!): http://www.avanzakayak.com/res/Manualer ... g_engl.pdf
I have done it both ways and I really don't think it makes any difference.
I have experimented with different hull shapes, made possible by inflation of lower sponson, and I find that my kayak sails (tracks) much better with the lower sponson loose/deflated. Or maybe that's my imagination. Looking forward to your thoughts!
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Quattro

Post by john allsop »

Thank you for the answer so soon. Without advice I would have inflated the top sponson first as that would tension the skin better as it do,s. I,ll let everyone know how it goes this summer although if I had a dry suit I could paddle in the winter on good days There,s not a lot of difference in temps between winter and summer although I wouldn,t recommend paddling here in the winter as we can get lots of rain and of course the Atlantic is cold. To-day was a good day 10c sunny and not a lot of wind. But this fall has been very wet and pretty lousy.

Return to “Klepper”