Expedition with Grey Hull?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

RobertD
forum fan

Expedition with Grey Hull?

Post by RobertD »

I've seen an add with someone selling a boat as an Expedition, but it has a Grey hull. Is this possible? I know that the Expedition hulls are Black now.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Expedition with Grey Hull?

Post by Yakadoodle »

Well...who was the manufacturer?

Klepper kayak used gray hypalon on their kayaks.
Folbot did use a gray hull material for a short while.

Just depends on the year.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

RobertD
forum fan

Post by RobertD »

It was a Klepper, sorry about that. Did they make Expeditions with Hypalon hulls? I know that their Classic is the only model that presently uses Hypalon.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Yes, Kleppers are gray hypalon hulls.
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

My $.02...every Klepper that was sold as an Expedition model has a black hull with hull reinforcement strips and the label printed on the hull says "Expedition". I have seen lots of ads claiming they are selling an expedition Klepper but I think many of these are misinformed. Happy to learn more from anyone who has better information.
Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

RobertD
forum fan

Post by RobertD »

gbellware wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:50 am
My $.02...every Klepper that was sold as an Expedition model has a black hull with hull reinforcement strips and the label printed on the hull says "Expedition". I have seen lots of ads claiming they are selling an expedition Klepper but I think many of these are misinformed. Happy to learn more from anyone who has better information.
Best,
g
That's what I was getting at. Either the early Expeditions had Hypalon Grey hulls , or people are misrepresenting their Hypalon hulled boats (now known as Classics) as Expeditions.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Sounds like good accurate info.
Does this gray hull "expedition" have the perimeter lines running along the edges of the deck?

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

All my Kleppers- two A-IIs and an A-I- had black Hypalon hulls. The expedition models have more deck rigging, paddle pockets, and thicker hull.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

RobertD
forum fan

Post by RobertD »

No deck lines.

I am really confused now. I thought the Aerius Classic was still grey hulled Hypalon, and only the Expedition and Quattro Black hulled with a different material. I must've been looking at an old site, or a new site with old pics. Ah, here we are...Klepper America's site.

https://www.klepperamerica.com/doubles-545/

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

RobertD,
Well, if you are confused then join the club! It is really difficult to pin down the dates of all the changes, and there have been quite a few, for Klepper hulls. The original gray hulls were rubber, then hypalon, then CSM (which I think is just a new formula of hypalon). The first black hulls were introduced in the 80's...I think...and my A1 Expedition is an example of that. I believe it is also hypalon. The newer black hulls are TPU and that is what my 10 year old A2 Expedition is made of. But my original opinion stands...the Expedition models are all black hulled, whether the material is black hypalon, black CSM, or TPU.
Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

GrnMtns
faltbootemeister

Post by GrnMtns »

FYI has anybody been to the new https://klepper.de/en/ website?
Klepper was bought by new folks in August.
Best,
Jon

Klepper A II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

I just got back to my storage/workshop and started getting into my kayaks in there.
Back in 2015 or 16 I picked up a Klepper from somebody and for some reason I thought I had just gotten a frame.
Digging the bags out today I saw Long Haul labels on the bags and inside I found that I did have a hull. It's an Aerius Expedition black hull. The hull hypalon looks pretty good, the end caps dry rotted a bit, the rudder cap is split where the bottom side where the bottom end of the metal mount goes into the rubber end cap.
The deck is the usual faded deck. 2 holes in it,- easy to patch though.
It should easily last another season if I patch thr deck and glue a strip over the split rubber for the rudder mount, but not sure what I will do with it.

Return to “Klepper”