Klepper Kamerad TS looking for info and rudder+mount

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

barkeater
forum fan

Klepper Kamerad TS looking for info and rudder+mount

Post by barkeater »

Hello all, I brought home a 1977 Klepper Kamerad TS the other day and would like to set it up for sailing. There are some reports that the presently available rudder mount will not fit this boat. I'd appreciate any suggestions, or any leads to the the right vintage Klepper literature. Thanks
klepper_kamerad_ts_1977 (1).jpg
klepper_kamerad_ts_1977 (1).jpg (58.25 KiB) Viewed 1896 times

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Klepper Kamerad TS looking for info and rudder+mount

Post by john allsop »

As you now know the Kamerad is 16feet long and the beam 31 inches. As you have the instruction page you probably know the rudder assembly is K-217. It shouldn,t be too difficult to make one if you make the part the rudder pin goes through from metal and the blade from wood. If you are lucky someone in Europe will be able to give good advice. The picture I have is not very good and small. It is said to be set up for S 4 sails so the present sails should be ok, but you don,t have to use Klepper sails. The rudder peddles might be too close to the back of a front paddler if you have one, also I would suggest outriggers.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

Is this a K-217?
klepper Kamerad rudder.JPG
klepper Kamerad rudder.JPG (45.4 KiB) Viewed 1878 times

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

That photo should help a little. So you have the rudder and the pin that goes into a fitting that should be on the back of the kayak. This would have been an aluminium casting. I would think almost impossible to find. You could look at after market add on rudders, it might mean filling in the hole at the stern which should be quite easy.

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

I found the picture poking around this forum. I'll be looking for a standard rudder and some 1/4"strap Gudgeons. I'm trying to keep the boat as original as possible so when I do find a full sailing kit, I can use it.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

I don,t think many Kamerads would have been sold in the USA, the dealer was Hans Klepper Corporation, 35 Union Square West in New York. This closed many years ago and the manager Mr D Stiller would have died a long time ago. The rudder K-217 which I mentioned would have been for a rudder, foot peddles and steering cables. The casting on the rear of the boat would have been expected to still be on. If they were available that would have been a separate order. The sails recommended in 1980 were the S/4 made from Dacron, earlier ones were cotton which didn,t last long. The present klepper sail is the same and it can be bought in white which is the original color. But as I said sailing is best in my opinion with outriggers. If you havn,t obtained one send for the current Klepper catalog which you will find interesting although they now only have folders.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

barkeater,
I think you will find what you are looking for at Chesapeak Light Craft (CLCboats.com). If you look at the hardware kits they supply for the Smartrack rudder system you will see a strap gudgeon that looks like it will work on the Klepper. Hope that helps,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

As I was just browsing through I once again saw your reference to the Kamerad and it,s rudder. I have just received an email from kajaksegel in Germany about the new and older rudders they have for FOLDERS. There is one for wooden canoes and the bracket seems to screw on the outside of the hull of course at the rear. If you are still searching you could try them by sending an e-mail with photos to see if they can help. Although it,s in Germany the English language is ok. There seems to have been some changes over there and their current e-mail address is I think, shop@em2.de

barkeater
forum fan

Post by barkeater »

Hi John, I ended up with a pile of parts from Long Haul Kayaks and 3 1/4 inch rudder straps from Duckworks. I got as far as modifying one of the straps with some machining and welding before I ran out of time and warm enough weather. Happy holidays, Woody

Return to “Klepper”