Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:01 pm 
There's an older Klepper available for sale locally and I was wondering if anyone had any advice of what to look out for. I'm not sure if it is a hypalon or rubber hull. I've put a few photos up in a slideshow here.

Last edited by grawil on Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:14 pm 
Skin condition - especially hull (bottom), in any boat. Hull is the most expensive part of any folder. Other people may tell more "points of interest" in frame, metal fixtures etc. But those things are relatively cheap.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:16 pm 
I'm not actually even sure what model it is and was hoping someone could offer insight based on the pictures. The seller believes it is a 1960's era boat but couldn't elaborate. It has apparently been stored for 10 years without use.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:47 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

As Alex say,s the hull, it looks like an old Aerius 2, i bought one of similar vintage that had been stored folded for years and it had dried and cracked on the folds, i put keel strips down the centre on the outside and many patches both outside and inside, i also glued a type of plastic along the inside like internal keel strips as the inside showed signs of cracks like the outside, also i changed all the blue rod holders as some no longer held the rods and all were brittle and hard, the sponsons will be black and it looks like rubber, do they hold air? mine did but i had to obtain a stopper for one. I still use it two or three times a year but probably i should have bought a new hull.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:43 am 
Thanks all. I will definitely take a good look at the hull. I already have a folboat super17 with a delaminating vinyl hull. I don't really need another 'project' boat. The seller claims there are no cracks or patches at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:12 am 

If you do decide to buy it, i use a hull "rejuvinater" liquid from the Klepper dealer which is applied after washing, this is supposed to help preserve and keep the hull "supple", i apply it at the beginning of the season and at the end before the long winter storage (inside dismantled.) I don,t really know how much it helps. For use on the bottom only, not on the cotton deck.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:16 pm 

I purchased an old Klepper a few years ago. When I unfolder the old rubber hull, Dr Ruth jumped out and ran around my garage. It was pretty freaky. Ended up buying a replacement hull from Wayland and have not had a celebrity problem since.

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:29 pm 
tsunamichuck wrote:
I purchased an old Klepper a few years ago. When I unfolder the old rubber hull, Dr Ruth jumped out and ran around my garage.

Dr. Ruth?

Just curious, does a long haul quattro hull fit on a standard Aerius II frame? I've never heard of 'Wayland" before. Do you have a url for them?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:12 pm 
Thanks to gbellware who added the following in a PM:

Quote:
The hull is your biggest concern because of the expense of replacing it. I think anyting from the 60's is hypalon, which consists of two layers of syn rubber sandwiching a layer of fabric. If the outer layer us begun to check, crack or even if it is slightly stiff you should be cautious. But don't forget the frame, either. Yours has the older blue rod holders that will need to ne replaced, about 100 bucks if you can do sipmle riveting. I ca not tell what shape the wood is in but it should be a nice even toasty color with no black graining or cracks near the fittings. Also check all the springs on the fittings. Finally, don't expect to use the paddles as they are worthless. Also, you will need to replace the seats and, probably the seat backs. Total can set you back several hundred bucks. Hope that helps

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:58 pm 

grawil wrote:
tsunamichuck wrote:
I purchased an old Klepper a few years ago. When I unfolder the old rubber hull, Dr Ruth jumped out and ran around my garage.

Dr. Ruth?

Just curious, does a long haul quattro hull fit on a standard Aerius II frame? I've never heard of 'Wayland" before. Do you have a url for them?

http://www.wayland.com.pl/lang-en.html

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Feathercraft K-Light

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm 
faltbootemeister

grawil wrote:
I'm not actually even sure what model it is and was hoping someone could offer insight based on the pictures. The seller believes it is a 1960's era boat but couldn't elaborate. It has apparently been stored for 10 years without use.

Klepper Aerius 2. From the pix the hull "looks" in good shape, but of course actually seeing the hull may reveal some issues. If you have to get a new skin you can count on at least $1,000 depending on which vendor you go with. The two tone frame dates the boat to the sixties, maybe early seventies as far as I know. If the skin is original I'm guessing it has a rubber hull - not hypalon. Frame appears in good shape, see any delamination or breaks? Do the sponsons hold air?

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:59 pm 
BarryM wrote:
Klepper Aerius 2. From the pix the hull "looks" in good shape, but of course actually seeing the hull may reveal some issues. If you have to get a new skin you can count on at least $1,000 depending on which vendor you go with. The two tone frame dates the boat to the sixties, maybe early seventies as far as I know. If the skin is original I'm guessing it has a rubber hull - not hypalon. Frame appears in good shape, see any delamination or breaks? Do the sponsons hold air?

A new skin from Long Haul would be $1830 (classic) or $2700 (quattro). I'm still not sure if it is even possible to put a quattro hull on an AEII frame. It seems theres a fair bit of differing opinion with regards to the original hull material... some say it is 'rubber' while others that it is hypalon. From this thread, I guess I won't know until I see it.

Apparently one sponson has a slow leak but he has a replacement for it (never got around to installing it). Thanks for the tip about dating it based on the two-tone frame.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:11 pm 
grawil wrote:

A new skin from Long Haul would be $1830 (classic) or $2700 (quattro). I'm still not sure if it is even possible to put a quattro hull on an AEII frame.

That's why guys told about Wayland. Don't remember precisely, you may look at the Ebay.com or Ebay.de, they routinely sell new Wayland skins for approximately twice less the Longhaul price.

You don't need a quattro skin if you don't need that much payload and stability (and that little speed for the same effort).

Quote:
Apparently one sponson has a slow leak but he has a replacement for it (never got around to installing it).

Any sponson can be fixed. Often this requires just a drop of urethane glue or rubber glue, sometimes - a small patch. But of course take a free replacement - you can carry it with you in long trips.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:09 am 
faltbootemeister

grawil wrote:
A new skin from Long Haul would be $1830 (classic) or $2700 (quattro). I'm still not sure if it is even possible to put a quattro hull on an AEII frame. It seems theres a fair bit of differing opinion with regards to the original hull material... some say it is 'rubber' while others that it is hypalon. From this thread, I guess I won't know until I see it.

I looked at those pix again, the skin really seems to be in pretty good shape. I say, if you end up buying, and of course there are no glaring issues with the rubber hull, take it out a few times - you might be pleasantly surprised. Perhaps the old hull is serviceable for a few years yet (patches and keel strips are cheap!). The deck looks really clean.

BTW, if you do end up getting this boat, and want to get rid of the paddles, please pmail me. I can always use an extra set if the price is right! :)

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:43 am 
Given the asking price, if the skin isn't usable (or easily patched), I'll probably pass on it. I'm not really in the market for another project boat and this one really isn't priced at a 'project boat' level. I do have a bit of a problem with 'seeing the potential' in something despite its flaws...

I'm going to look at it one evening next week.