Help! Should I get an Aerius 2 Expedition as my first kayak?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

fuzzybabybunny

Help! Should I get an Aerius 2 Expedition as my first kayak?

Post by fuzzybabybunny »

Hello! I've only gone kayaking three times in my life but I love the idea of being on a small boat, packing stuff, doing daytrips or multiday camping trips from it. I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, so I would be kayaking in Monterey, Lake Tahoe, other small lakes around the area, etc. I also want to scuba and spearfish from it.

I like the idea of a folding kayak because it's more portable.

I found a good deal on a Klepper Aerius II Expedition, a 17 footer with rudder and sail kit and I'm wondering whether I should get it.

I will be using it for short day trips 80% of the time, and 50% of that just by myself, diving. The other times will be with my girlfriend. Of course, if I become single again I'll be using it 100% by myself...

I'm afraid that the Expedition would be overkill for me, but I feel like it's such a good deal for a full kit :(

I don't know what to do... there aren't many Kleppers sold around me as it is...

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Help! Should I get an Aerius 2 Expedition as my first ka

Post by gbellware »

The A2 is a great boat for all the purposes you mention, with the possible exception of scuba. I know it can be done, but this is not a boat one just jumps in and out of, especially loaded with gear and/or in rough conditions.

If the boat is really a good deal (you did not mention the condition or price) then it is a fairly safe investment as there is a market for good quality high end kayaks like Feathercraft and Kleppers and, should your needs or fancies change, you can always resell it.

The boat can be a lot to handle solo, depending on your strength and size. Some complain about how slow and unwieldy it can be. I personally am happy to give up a little speed for its cavernous stowage and I have never been uncomfortable with the handling.

Good luck,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

vangelis
forum fanatic

Post by vangelis »

I had the AEII 545 Quatro as my first boat some years ago and I loved it. It is still my usual boat even though I now may use a 490 single quatro as well.

You will love the stability and comfort of AEII. It is also a fine boat to use with sails. If you invest for a pair of outriggers, it will expand the utility of sails to stronger winds but also ,when using just the outriggers with no sails, they provide a steady platform to use for scuba diving or snorkeling. When the outriggers are attached you may even use a small ladder to climb on the boat.

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by tsunamichuck »

An A2 is a lot to handle solo and to transport it solo has its issues. But if it is a good deal, get it. You can get a single later
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

I have one, and often paddled it solo when it was my only boat. It's not nearly as enjoyable to paddle solo as a smaller boat, but I do enjoy paddling it with my girlfriend, and it's a fine sailing craft, too. If it's a really good deal, buy it. You can always buy a solo boat as well, and if you decide the AII is too big and sell it, you won't lose much, if anything.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Alm

Post by Alm »

Re: Subj - no.

Here is why: as Mike put it delicately, it can be enjoyable solo on a short trip when there is no other boat at your disposal; time spent on water is enjoyable anyway.

It must be one of those rare occasions when I agree with Mike :wink: - and his other points I mostly concur with, too. You won't lose much selling it later - though they are quite abundant on the used market and if a "good deal" is what is normally a good deal here, you are going to lose a few hundred plus pain of selling it.

Don't overestimate portability of this particular folding kayak, btw. It's a 3-bag item that will immediately put you above the free luggage limit of any airline, and it's a lot to carry to and from a car for a daytrip if you live in a condo and must keep it dissembled.

fuzzybabybunny

Post by fuzzybabybunny »

Thanks!

It's a 1988 Klepper Aerius Expedition II w/ black double hull and red canvas deck
Boat cart.
Drift Sail Kit.
S4 Sail Kit
Werner Paddles

$1000

Is it a good deal?

tsunamichuck

Post by tsunamichuck »

fuzzybabybunny wrote:Thanks!

It's a 1988 Klepper Aerius Expedition II w/ black double hull and red canvas deck
Boat cart.
Drift Sail Kit.
S4 Sail Kit
Werner Paddles

$1000

Is it a good deal?
At this point... Was a great deal. Likely been snatched up.
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

I completely disagree, you are getting ripped off, hoodwinked, fleeced, taken to the cleaners. Outrageous I tell you. Please just give me the sellers contact information and I wil get with him directly to give him a real "talking to". And you can then rest easy...
seriously, it sounds like a great deal, assuming it has not been abused, and, by that I mean left out in the elements, stored wet, or used on some rock hopping adventure down the Delaware River. I assume you can inspect before you buy?
Let us know how it turns out.
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

fuzzybabybunny

Post by fuzzybabybunny »

Doh, I really want this thing now ><

Too bad it's logistically so hard to get since it's out of state.

I give myself a 90% chance of capsizing the first time I try to sail it :P (never sailed before)

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Never sailed before. I have been advised to use the main sail only at the beginning, and add an out rigger system, some very experienced members do, so make it as safe as you can. Oh yes lightish winds at first and don,t forget your paddle. Once some experience is gained then add the jib and keep the out riggers.

Return to “Klepper”