Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Klepper Rear Coaming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:22 pm 
I picked up a 60's vintage Aerius II in need of a new hull and misc. frame pieces. I now have a new Long Haul hull and I managed to source a rear coaming piece off of a parts boat. The coaming is a little rough though but it will provide a useful pattern to have a new piece fab'd up (I know I can buy new). I have two requests of the group;

1. What material is the slider (anti-wear) pad for the rudder cables made from?
2. Would somebody be able to post a close up photo of a similar vintage coaming piece just to make sure I am not missing anything?

Regards,
John

Post subject: Re: Klepper Rear Coaming
PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 7:44 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

The older rear piece which everyone calls the "boomerang" had a red plastic insert that the cables went down into, later versions have a hole with a brass "ferrule" in it which wears by friction of the cable, i have a short piece of tubing to stop this wear, the cables are pushed through the hole. The latest version from klepper might have changed again. Ignore the word bow piece in the title of the photo it,s part of a group.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:02 am 

John,

My AII is a nineties or late eighties version with the brass tubing. My rudder cables however have a sleeve around them just like bicycle brake cables have - it's this sleeve that rides in the brass tubes on my boat so there is never any wear on the brass.

I do have an older frame as well with the plastic grooves, do those wear? I also just realized that my sleeved rudder cables will not work with this older 'boomerang'.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 am 
Huh, thanks guys. The used piece that I have does not look like either of those, I'll have to post a photo. From memory (well, OK, I looked at it two days ago) I would describe mine as having a small flat deck cut on the top edge of the coaming and it looks like a piece of thin metal (brass?) is screwed to the flat for the cable to run on. Sound familiar to anyone?

John

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

You may have a part of the tiller extension, but just post a pic and I sure someone can ID the piece.

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:26 pm 
This is what I have got. I have no idea what vintage of boat it is from.

I'm going to make a new piece so I guess it doesn't really matter which style I go for although what I've got seems the easiest as it does not take much effort to make a pad for the cable to run on. Heck, I don't even have a rudder so for that matter I could just ignore this feature for the moment.

John

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:13 am 

Yes it is the "Boomerang" either will work i think the hole is easier. I have remembered why my brass"grommets" wore. It was because over 30 years ago i lost both my cables and i could only get cables without the protective plastic that Klepper put on, hence the wear. I can,t add a photo right now as my attachment quota has been reached. So don,t forget to protect the holes if you have bare cable.