Klepper Rear Coaming

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

roverlad

Klepper Rear Coaming

Post by roverlad »

I picked up a 60's vintage Aerius II in need of a new hull and misc. frame pieces. I now have a new Long Haul hull and I managed to source a rear coaming piece off of a parts boat. The coaming is a little rough though but it will provide a useful pattern to have a new piece fab'd up (I know I can buy new). I have two requests of the group;

1. What material is the slider (anti-wear) pad for the rudder cables made from?
2. Would somebody be able to post a close up photo of a similar vintage coaming piece just to make sure I am not missing anything?

Regards,
John

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Klepper Rear Coaming

Post by john allsop »

The older rear piece which everyone calls the "boomerang" had a red plastic insert that the cables went down into, later versions have a hole with a brass "ferrule" in it which wears by friction of the cable, i have a short piece of tubing to stop this wear, the cables are pushed through the hole. The latest version from klepper might have changed again. Ignore the word bow piece in the title of the photo it,s part of a group.
Attachments
KLEPPER BOW PIECE AND BOOMERANG 001.jpg

DLee

Post by DLee »

John,

My AII is a nineties or late eighties version with the brass tubing. My rudder cables however have a sleeve around them just like bicycle brake cables have - it's this sleeve that rides in the brass tubes on my boat so there is never any wear on the brass.

I do have an older frame as well with the plastic grooves, do those wear? I also just realized that my sleeved rudder cables will not work with this older 'boomerang'.

Dennis
Klepper Aerius II
Klepper T9
Long Haul MK1 Expedition 'light'
Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

roverlad

Post by roverlad »

Huh, thanks guys. The used piece that I have does not look like either of those, I'll have to post a photo. From memory (well, OK, I looked at it two days ago) I would describe mine as having a small flat deck cut on the top edge of the coaming and it looks like a piece of thin metal (brass?) is screwed to the flat for the cable to run on. Sound familiar to anyone?

John

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

You may have a part of the tiller extension, but just post a pic and I sure someone can ID the piece.

g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

roverlad

Post by roverlad »

This is what I have got. I have no idea what vintage of boat it is from.

I'm going to make a new piece so I guess it doesn't really matter which style I go for although what I've got seems the easiest as it does not take much effort to make a pad for the cable to run on. Heck, I don't even have a rudder so for that matter I could just ignore this feature for the moment.

John

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes it is the "Boomerang" either will work i think the hole is easier. I have remembered why my brass"grommets" wore. It was because over 30 years ago i lost both my cables and i could only get cables without the protective plastic that Klepper put on, hence the wear. I can,t add a photo right now as my attachment quota has been reached. So don,t forget to protect the holes if you have bare cable.

Return to “Klepper”