1987 AE1 Expedition Value?

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

Christov10
forum fanatic

1987 AE1 Expedition Value?

Post by Christov10 »

I know. A "what is this thing worth" question. Seller's recent photos indicate a nearly pristine-looking, red-decked AE1 - hullskin, deck and frame look very good in the photos. Comes with spray-deck, bags, etc. He's asking $850 and can deliver it in the next month or so.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: 1987 AE1 Expedition Value?

Post by gbellware »

If the kayak is in good shape and it really is an Expedition (rear hatch, keel reinforcement strips, paddle pockets) then the price is very good. Does it have a spray skirt? If you don't buy it then I am seriously interested. Just let me know.

Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

Christov10
forum fanatic

Post by Christov10 »

Has the sprayskirt. I will try to negotiate a lower price - always I have to justify any expense, and I just bought an FNS-9c... If I can't get a lower price, I'll give you the seller's contact information. C.

Edit: Has keelstrips and paddle pockets; no rear hatch - maybe those were a later development? Also, no perimeter grab-line, which is kind of a bummer.

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by john allsop »

At that price grab it. The hatch, the perimeter lines etc came later even if it,s not an expedition version it is probably a good price. providing of course it is in reasonably good condition.

Christov10
forum fanatic

Post by Christov10 »

gbellware wrote:If you don't buy it then I am seriously interested. Just let me know.

Best,
g
My longsuffering wife said, "No." I've sent you a PM with the craigslist ad's link and have texted the seller that I'm passing on the deal and sending you the link.

Cheers,

Chris

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Thanks Chris, I have contacted the seller and will let you know how it works out.
Best,
G
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

Just to close the loop on this Klepper, it is not an Expedition so I am not interested. It is an A1 that looks to be in decent shape but I am only interested in the Expedition. Thanks!

g

Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard

mowog
paddler

Post by mowog »

Im very late to the party here- but I just bought a 1988 "expedition" A2, and what was an expedition in the 80s is not the expedition of today. Upgraded rubber-hypalon with 3 keelstrips, 2 sets of paddle pockets, maybe 8 D rings, and that was it. No hatches, no lifelines- a much simpler kayak. The Klepper timeline on this site is a good source of the changes- but don't compare a much older Klepper with current models. Bob
Bob Skillman, Ellicott City MD,USA

Return to “Klepper”