Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hello,
Does anyone have advice about repairing/replacing sponsons on an old Aerius 2 (60's or 70's era) that have quarter-dollar (or larger) holes chewed out of them by hungry mice? I just purchased the boat and haven't yet paddled her. Are the sponsons indispensable to the boat's performance, or can you carry on without them? Any advice?
Martin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

The main function of the sponsons it to tighten up the hull. They also provide some reserve buoyancy if you swamp. I've never paddles an AII without sponsons, so I don't know how much that would affect performance, but I've paddled a Folbot double without the sponsons inflated and it didn't affect performance much at all.

You can patch them with kits from NRS (http://www.nrsweb.com) or get replacements from Long Haul (http://www.nrsweb.com) or Klepper.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2012 10:35 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have paddled an A11 with one sponson deflated it went down while i was on the water and like Mike said about the folbot i didnt know it was deflated untill i dissasembled the boat at the end of the paddling trip which was last week. But i would repair or replace the sponson, i have repaired mine and now i have to put it back in which is not difficult with the simple "tool". You can,t push it in very far.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:40 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thanks Michael and John for your responses. I think I'll order a replacement from LongHaul.
I hesitate a little as the last time I ordered a canoe seat from an American company (I live in Canada) UPS stuck me with "border processing charges" that nearly exceeded the cost of the item itself__and this was not tax or duty. Did that ever put me off of UPS! I'll call LongHaul to get an idea about shipping.
Martin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:31 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Martin, with your request in the repair section you will find the info on how to put sponsons in, i say just scroll down in that section untill you come to "puctured klepper sponson".