Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 11:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Leak in the T9
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 1:46 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Went out paddling the T9 again yesterday. I'm using it with just the partial stern deck spar. Seems to be working fine. Need to fix that though.

My paddle control is getting better with this boat but as the wind kicks up or I get tired I often wish for the rudder.

I have noticed that the water I take on during paddling seems a little more than what the dripping GP and my wet boots should be bringing into the boat. Yesterday I paddled for 45 minutes straight with the GP (without cockpit cover), getting into the boat with wet neoprene boots, and otherwise no water foolery.

There was a fair bit of water in the boat afterwards but not that much so I brought the boat home without dumping the water out. I put the boat up in her sling and then put a large pot underneath to catch the water in the boat as I dumped it out. To make a long story shorter I collected 50oz or almost 1.5 liter of water. This measured out to a lot more than I thought.

When I tilted the boat initially putting it into the sling I saw water escaping from the stern around the metal rudder holder. I believe there is a bolt and screw in there. I'm thinking this is where some of the water is coming from. I will try and get to this by turning the hull inside out when I have a chance. Maybe I can tighten it up, at the very least I can coat the entire joint with aquaseal.

Any thoughts on the amount of water I'm taking on? Could the Greenland paddle alone be bringing in 1.5 liters of water during 45 minutes of paddling?

Thanks,

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Leak in the T9
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:45 pm 

If the stern piece something like the Aerius 2 then there is a nut on the inside. Here is the part off an Aerius 2.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:54 pm 

I've done this with an old AII hull as well (but that hull had fallen apart) - and I'm guessing the T9 is the same. Is the nut accessible when turning the hull inside out? Will I be able to tighten it from the inside?

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:47 pm 

I have never turned the skin inside out so i don,t know. The nut on the Aerius 2 is 10 mm and here is a photo of the type of tool i have used, just an extension on a screw driver that the socket was on or the "tee" handle which ever works. Used by crawling down the inside of the skin.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:35 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I used to get some 'seepage' of water through the cracked rubber hull before I patched my T9 hull. The edges of the patches were then sealed with Aquaseal (with a few blobs added on the odd nick and scratch). It has been dry since. But I seem to recall your T9 hull was in very good condition without the 'elephant-skin' cracking of the rubber. In which case your analysis sounds plausible. Good luck with tightening things up. Let us know how you get on.
Ian

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:59 pm 

It's raining out now, I'll try diving in the next dry day with a 10mm socket/screwdriver. I hope it's actually loose...

It was a short but fun paddle yesterday. I got to do a little ice breaking. If I hadn't lost one of the adjustment chains for the rudder I would have sailed a bit with the kayaksailor. BTW - wearing full dry suit, hood and gloves... didn't even put my hands in the water yesterday.

I'd like to find a new spray skirt. I wonder if the MK1 or 490SL cockpit cover would fit this boat? The Ute skirt is about 1~2 inches short.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP