Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 4:17 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOAT SHOW IN GERMANY
PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:06 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

To-day i was looking at this years boat show in Germany, and as far as i could see Klepper had a good display, they even had the Backyak on show, so maybe it,s not dead, if they can get them made to the quality required. It will be interesting to see how good Wayland make the boats for Klepper. Perhaps someone who went to the show can provide us with some details.

Post subject: Re: BOAT SHOW IN GERMANY
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:53 am 
It is not a question if they can build them to the quality required.

Properly prepared specifications, simple contract, no downpayment. It is that simple, at least in my books. Not met the specs? Take it back. This is how Apple maintains its excellence.

The focus should be on quality, not price.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:29 pm 

Yes it,s simple, Klepper expected to deliver the first batch last spring to customers who had ordered the Backyak, but the first batch of boats were not up to spec and the quality Klepper demanded, so they were rejected. There,s been no word since, at least not to me, and now they seem to have closed their facilities will they have much control. (i should send an e-mail to my contact in Rosenheim, if they are still there) The next thing Klepper have to see is, will Wayland build conventional Klepper,s to a higher quality than Wayland,s own boats.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:07 pm 

That's absolutely the question John. I find it a little hard to believe that Wayland is going to put out a better product for Klepper than they did on their own. How is that possible?

I'm surprised to hear the Bakyak was at the show. Haven't seen it on the website in a while. Did you order one John? Whatever happened to Klepper Canada? have you heard any rumors up there?

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:51 am 

Dennis, Being a silly old "senior" i did order a Backyak but paid no money so all is fine. The boat is still on http://www.klepper.de but with no fresh news, just the same as when it first was announced. The ones on kleppers web site are prototypes which is what i was told from Rosenheim, and probably hand made, production seems to be another kettle of fish and i don,t expect any will be produced, every joint had to seal perfectly, it would be a lot of "fun" a long way out on a large lake and the boat starts to fill with water, one thing a repair kit would need is tubes of silicone to turn the boat into a hard shell which might be better as Klepper made those years ago, or someone made them for them. The Backyak is an interesting design but it didn,t have a sail rig except in the "fun" catamaran set up. Klepper Canada was not a dealer, only a web site and perhaps Klepper "killed" it when problems were appearing on the horizen. Klepper are not at any shows over here as far as i know, although the Klepper dealer in Calgary is usually at the shows out west. Without displaying their product how do they expect the public to become interested, it,s alright for us enthusiasts but we are not enough to support a company. (Folbot don,t go to any shows up here either). I won,t hear anything up here other than what is on the web, i live in a very small remote community, hunting and fishing is the main outdoor activity, i don,t fish, and the next nearest folder is about 250 miles away, right now with the roads i don,t leave town, the next small town, Marathon,, is about 60 miles away.