Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2019 1:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 7:42 pm 
Scored an Aerius II 520 frame, with rudder and some other bits and bobs for about 300 bucks, including shipping from Germany to Norway... :D

Now, to oogling skins and waiting for the yellow truck sometimes early next week (hopefully). Need to get some sandpaper and varnish as well, by the look of things and stated order by the seller.

Perhaps a small jig is in order, yes.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 8:45 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

What have you just done, well a jig or a jug, some sand paper, maybe, a little varnish and a new skin, this equals a new boat. Sounds good to me, but then what do i know.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2013 9:07 pm 

Excellent! Where you gonna get the new skin from? Heise? Klepper? Wayland? Long Haul? Long Haul is having a sale...

& Congrats... did you video the jig? or jug? or jigging jug?

Welcome to the club.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:58 am 
Thanks, fellows

I didnt videotape the jig as I`m a sucker for persec, but I had a tiny cigar afterwards... :mrgreen:

As to skin, I`m thinking Wayland for the moment, easily obtainable and swift replies from the folks in the UK as well as a very reasonable price, which comes in handy when the families needs are two boats to get us all waterborne. As I`m rather skint for the moment, price is important.

If I should buy a boat new from the Norwegian importer, I`d have to fork out between 7-8K USD per boat.

Doing it this way, I`m looking at around 4K for two complete boat systems* over time and that wouldn't leave me to much out of pocket, if the idea don't take with the little Mrs, who is "used" to paddle canoes. :D

*Everything needed to go on the water, not including sails.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:54 pm 

Of course it,s no doubt better for you to buy on your side of the Atlantic. If the little Mr,s paddles a canoe then she will be happy to paddle a Klepper with a canoe paddle, i do some times when using a sail. For you sails will come later, have fun this summer.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:51 pm 
The yellow truck have been delayed and resprayed to a shiny red, but today it came with a humongous package containing the frame.

I`ve pulled some pieces out and there will be varnishing.

Are there any tricks regarding the aluminium bits ? They are dull and for the lack of a proper explanation, coarse but smooth. If that gives any meaning. The sliding parts slide and such.

I do know aluminium corrosion after having owned several Land Rovers over the years and its not that (atleast not to any extent). :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 12:56 am 
faltbootemeister

HPFlashman wrote:
The yellow truck have been delayed and resprayed to a shiny red, but today it came with a humongous package containing the frame.

I`ve pulled some pieces out and there will be varnishing.

Are there any tricks regarding the aluminium bits ? They are dull and for the lack of a proper explanation, coarse but smooth. If that gives any meaning. The sliding parts slide and such.

I do know aluminium corrosion after having owned several Land Rovers over the years and its not that (atleast not to any extent). :D

I use Boeshield T-9 and I am satisfied.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy