Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Adding hatches
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 12:56 am 
Has anyone attempted to add fore and aft hatches on a Klepper deck that didn't have them in the first place? Just thinking that maybe I'll look into getting some of those beefy water resistant zippers (similar to the ones used on drysuits) and forming and L-shape, but that still leaves a hole where the ends meet. Velcro was another alternative, but I'd need extra cloth for the overlap.

Just curious about whether anyone has actually done this yet without having to ship out to Longhaul or Wayland to do an aftermarket job.

Post subject: Re: Adding hatches
PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:53 pm 
Site Admin

Keep in mind that there's a lot of tension on the skin, which is why Long Haul reinforces the rim of the access hatches they install. Folbot's deck zippers on the GII are backed up with a large velcro closure. And L-shapped zip would, I suspect, be a point where stress would build up.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

I'm sure I read something (in German) about a German Klepper enthusiast adding a hatch to his Wayland skin--I think it was a round hatch. It may have used a roll-up dry-bag style tube and clips to seal it.
Ian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:28 pm 
"I'm sure I read something (in German) about a German Klepper enthusiast adding a hatch to his Wayland skin--I think it was a round hatch. It may have used a roll-up dry-bag style tube and clips to seal it.
Ian"

That would be identical to the FC hatch system on my Wisper XPS, except on my FC there is the added strength of a deck strip. Good idea, though.

"Keep in mind that there's a lot of tension on the skin, which is why Long Haul reinforces the rim of the access hatches they install. Folbot's deck zippers on the GII are backed up with a large velcro closure. And L-shapped zip would, I suspect, be a point where stress would build up."

That's my fear, and there are no redo's with this project! I may just have to stick with the status quo. The issue is that I'll be getting a seasock soon and with the sock, there is an attachment point on the front that wraps around one of the fore ribs; this blocks access unless the seasock is taken out...that only happens by taking out the frame to access the attachment point. Of course, I don't have to secure the front of the sock to the rib....

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:23 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Orchido, maybe you can make the front connection with a snap buckle that you can open and close through the material of the sock. I don't know if there's enough loose material in the sock to do this, but it might be worth a try.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:35 am 
DLee, that's actually a great idea; I like the concept. But upon further reflection, it wouldn't work with me because I wouldn't be able to reach the buckle. As embarrassing as it is to say this, but height isn't one of the characteristics my family line possesses! I suppose I can climb in head first and do it that way, but that's not exactly making it easier.

It would be a suitable last resort, though. I wouldn't want to go without some kind of attachment point because in a nasty situation (e.g. capsize), I shudder to think what would happen if the sock front got tangled with the feet of the front paddler. I know FC kayaks don't have attachment points and this isn't a problem, but that is because the seal is relatively tight and a vacuum is created after burping the sock. With the seasock in a Klepper AII, there are a few places with holes (for the T-bars) so there is no vacuum effect to keep the sock front from curling back.

Besides, that's not the only reason. I also found with other kayaks that hatches are great for those multi-day trips or for the excursions where there are multiple stops.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 11:53 am 

I didn't realize you were putting it on a double... are you getting it from Wayland? I wouldn't mind having a sea sock for my double when sailing. That could save a lot of bailing - but the fit would also need to be tight enough to allow water to be dumped, and there's a lot of water in that AII cockpit.

I'd give Mark a call over at Long Haul. He might be able to supply you with the Raw materials to do the job right. He might even have the completed hatches and all you would need to do is sew them in.

When I was thinking about adding more D-rings to my boat I found D-rings that came with a ready-made backing. A simple slit in the deck and you slid the D-ring through from underneath - then you sewed the backing (which is now below the deck) to the deck. This seemed like a pretty genius idea to me at the bulk of the workmanship was below the deck. I might consider a similar approach to adding the hatches. Which is why I think getting the ready-made hatch could simplify the effort considerably. Of course your building expenses going this way.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:35 am 

Here's and interesting solution to fitting a hatch on a canvas boat.

https://sites.google.com/site/volkerpott/hart-spezial-wixi--1

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Apr 02, 2013 3:23 am 
That looks like a clean hatch attachment. I like!

Looking at that third photo, I can only surmise that the bottom half of the hatch "ring", which is under the deck, is screwed onto the top ring. I wonder how waterproof that would be since there's no sewing?

Any idea where that particular hatch comes from? It actually does look doable....

To answer your other question, yes, it would be for a double Klepper. It's considerably more complicated than a single (given the position of the T-bars, the fact there are multiple T-bars, pedal placement options, etc.... As of today, they factory is still experiencing some production issues with this particular sock.....