Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 1:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Old Klepper single
PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:40 pm 
I've found an old Klepper single listed for sale, it is listed as a T9 Arius, however I'm
assuming it is an AeriusI judging by the inflation tubes hanging out of the skin and the
fact it has a rudder.

The frame looks to be in good nick and complete however the skin may not be so good,
for a start there looks like a patch of hypalon re-enforcing under the rudder mounting has
gone all crumbly, deteriorated. Is this difficult to fix or replace?

I assume the skin can take a fair bit of patching/repairing provided it has not perished.

Worse case if I had to get a new skin were would be best?

Klepper/Wayland?
Long Haul?
Markus Heise? ( not sure about the spelling)

Thanks for your time.

Tim W

Post subject: Re: Old Klepper single
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:14 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Tim, yeah the T9 didn't have any sponsons.

So that means it's probably an Aerius 1.

In which case any of those three will be able to make you a new hull. Mark at Long Haul has been having some specials on hulls, might be worth calling him. With the changes going on at Klepper/Wayland... who knows what quality you would get? Hopefully Klepper quality.

Markus Heises' stuff looks great and Mark highly recommends him, but he is pricey. I inquired about a new T9 hull and the basic shell was around $1800 with shipping included. Mark wouldn't take on the T9 project when I asked him.

Good luck.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Old Klepper single
PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:59 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

As you have been told there are skins by Longhaul which are very good, then there are skins by Wayland which going by reports can be good or not so good, then there is Klepper. Klepper are going to get their boats made by Wayland, who it is said will make them to Klepper specifications and quality which is supposed to be better than Waylands own boats, the same people building almost the same boat to different qualities, can that work? There has really been no news from either Klepper or Wayland, so i would think that any Klepper skins that Klepper dealers have now will have been made by Klepper. I think i would go for Longhaul although i have never seen one, but there reputation is so good i wouldn,t have any worries. (assuming you live in the USA) Skins can be patched but a new skin now will most likly be cheaper than in a few years time. (and you can still patch your old skin)