Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 3:52 am 
A warning for anyone considering buying a Klepper. In 2009 I bought a carbon Klepper, it cost more than 6000 euros. August 2012 I contacted the company because the skin was tearing spontaneously. They asked me to send it. After that I sent them at least 16 e-mails, and called them more than 10 times. Every time there was some reason why they hadn't looked into it yet. 21 March this year I finally got a verdict: it was my own fault but they were willing to repair the problem for 1800 euros. I did not want that and asked for the skin to be returned. I still don't have it back yet.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 20, 2013 5:13 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Can you give us any more details, the model, how it tore and what material it was made of. I have had Kleppers for nearly 40 years and never had this problem. Did Klepper say what you had done to cause the tears?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:56 am 
It is an Aerius Quatro 2+ from 2009. This is what Klepper says:
Quote:
the problem is, that the fabric is rotten, so it will burst again even if we stich it. This can happen when the hull for example gets packed while it’s not properly dry.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 10:40 am 

Thank you for the details. So it is the cotten deck that has rotted. As far as i know they have used this "cotten" for many years, my oldest skin/hull is over 45 years old and while the bottom part is covered in patches the "cotten" deck is still ok. Could you have put it away damp or it has been stored in damp conditions as i think this is the only way it could have "rotted", assuming it was ok in the first place. I live in a "fresh water" area, could salt water, if you have been on it been a contibutor? When you eventually get it back probably Wayland might be able to sew a new deck on if thats the way you want to go as they might be cheaper, although i don,t know if they do that or how good they are. The boat you bought would have been the "top"of the line and probably still is. Thank you for the warning.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 12:09 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

dirkjan,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. As John suggests you can have a new deck sewn in, I believe Wayland or LongHaul can and will do this more economically than Klepper, and the material should be comparable. I have the same kayak as you and have not had any problems except with the storage bags which are much cheaper and weaker than the original canvas bags for my 44 year old A2.
Good luck getting back on the water soon!
Greg

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 2:33 pm 
Hi, gbellware and John. Thanks for your replies. I already found a Faltbot repair agency in Berlin. They are much cheaper.

Klepper may be right about packing the boat damp. I am not sure, I don't remember. But they could have told me a lot sooner that the guarantee did not apply and then I wouldn't have been without a boat for more than half a year. Or who knows how long and how many e-mails and phone-calls it will take to get the boat back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:51 pm 

dirkjan, it would be interesting to know where your hull is, from what little i read Klepper are now having their boats made by Wayland, so do Klepper really have a repair facility? It,s to be hoped that now they will send your hull back immediatly, what has happened is now known all over the world, and this along with the present situation Klepper are now in it can only hurt sales which is unfortunate. From being the leader of the "pack" they now seem to have themseleves to blame for losing that position, doing what they should have done and given you fast efficient service even if it is only to return your hull.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 3:59 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

We get really good service on this side of the pond. There is now just one distributor in North America, but he (Gerald at klepperamerica) is very responsive and helpful.
I worry that service will take a turn for the worse now that production has moved to Wayland. Nothing against wayland, but klepper is an iconic company with such a unique history and reputation that, IMO, will be missed in some ways.
I would loved to be wrong about this!
greg

1988 A1 Expedition
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:44 pm 

Yes i can say the same for Peter at Auto-marine, the Klepper dealer in Calgary, he has always come through quickly with advice and parts which i ordered and he will refurbish those older hulls in his shop. Some time ago when i wanted a new hull he was the cheapest around. In fact i have bought two hulls from him, at different times, the latest a PVC Smartline to replace my well patched old hull (but not yet used). I asked him if he will become the Wayland dealer in Canada but he said no as they are different companies.He also attends outdoor shows in the western provinces displaying Kleppers which is always a good thing for the company.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 22, 2013 10:14 pm 
Site Admin

We also have Long Haul for Klepper service and custom mods. Is Klepper America stocking parts now?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 9:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Not sure if KlepperAmerica stocks parts of if Gerald just sources from Germany when he gets an order. I have sent him an email and asked him to comment on this thread,
Greg

1988 A1 Expedition
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 23, 2013 12:55 pm 
We at Klepper America do stock parts and have been doing so for the past 5 years. At times we may run out of an item and in a situation like that we do order from the factory. On the issue regarding warranty issues and claims. It is advisable to run these types of situations through Klepper America. For example I would never go to the expense of returning a hull to the factory without fist evaluating it here and sending detailed photographs to the factory.
It appears that the transition that Klepper are going through now is resulting in some unexpected supply and logistic issues.
I will be in contact with the Klepper management and hopefully be able to resolve some of the current problems.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am 

I think maybe it's not worth all the effort... perhaps I should take that Carbon frame off your hands for a reasonable price... :D

dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 3:34 am 
Dennis, please send me an offer in a private message :-)

Today I called Klepper again as emails are not answered. I was promised that someone will email me today. Based on experience this will probably not happen, but we will see.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2013 11:42 am 

Dosn,t who ever is handling Kleppers service, or lack of it, realize all of this is going to do them nothing but harm. OK we can get good service on the USA/Canadian side of the Atlantic but prospective customers will go to Longhaul who will give GOOD service and advice. I know i would.