Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 1:59 pm 
paddler

Hi all,

After a salt water trip I make sure my Klepper skin had a chance to completely dry out, and I rinse and sponge all of the wooden frame parts in fresh water before storage.

However I was wondering if I should do more with the skin - for example, sponging down the canvas and/or the hypalon hull in fresh water too, so I'm keen to hear any recommendations from forum members.

Many thanks,

Fred.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 9:00 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Fred,

Sounds like you are doing all the right things, and that you are doing more than most! In my experience the canvas and hypalon are very sturdy in a salt environment, simple rinsing and thorough drying are all that is needed. Pay special attention to the seams, as the thread is a weak link. I also use T9 to protect the fittings on my newer (2010) Klepper as the metal used on these, especially on the castings (rudder bracket, combing, mast partner), is inferior to older models. Just my $.02,

g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:31 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Fred, yes you are doing a good job. In the UK you can get T9 which is called Boeshield T9 from amazon and bike shops (bike shops can be cheaper), its best to NOT get the spray cans as it can be lost in over spray, the 4oz container is good as you can put a small amount into a lid and with a small paint brush apply it to all the metal parts. For the hull, from time to time use the hyperlon cleaning kit available from http://www.rib-shop.com. they also sell hyperlon patching kits should you ever need one. For the deck use 303, check their site for the correct one as they make various products also available from amazon. I think a newer anti corrosion product for the metal parts is corrosion x but very expensive. The photo shows my klepper hull after using the rib cleaning kit.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:25 am 
paddler

Thanks for your replies, and for your advice.

When rinsing the canvas and hyperlon, how much fresh water do you use before drying? I should imaging the canvas absorbs quite a lot of salt water, and would need to be soaked to remove most of the salt... Or do you just wipe over the exterior with a wet sponge?

I'll check out the T9 product, and the others John suggested.

Off topic: I visited the Isles of Scilly for the first time this spring, camping on each island (apart from Tresco), and had glorious weather throughout. What a place! Absolutely stunning. Unfortunately I didn't have my Klepper with me, but the kayaking looked out of this world.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 5:18 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Yes. the kayaking and sailing can be great here in the Scillies. As you will now found out these islands call people back right through the years, we don,t have the cliff scenery of Scotland but we have a certain feeling. This year has been a poor year for me, I didn,t get on the water early in the year, then on June the 6th I fell down some steps removing a lot of skin from my right hand (now ok), broke my left arm and left hip, had 4 weeks in hospital now stuck in the house , allowed outside soon, i hope. We are not a guest house but if you ever want to return to these islands e-mail me and we might be able to assist you. rinse the boat with plenty of fresh water and allow the hull to dry, pay particular attention to protecting the metal parts.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:58 am 
paddler

john allsop wrote:
Yes. the kayaking and sailing can be great here in the Scillies. As you will now found out these islands call people back right through the years, we don,t have the cliff scenery of Scotland but we have a certain feeling. This year has been a poor year for me, I didn,t get on the water early in the year, then on June the 6th I fell down some steps removing a lot of skin from my right hand (now ok), broke my left arm and left hip, had 4 weeks in hospital now stuck in the house , allowed outside soon, i hope. We are not a guest house but if you ever want to return to these islands e-mail me and we might be able to assist you. rinse the boat with plenty of fresh water and allow the hull to dry, pay particular attention to protecting the metal parts.

Co-incidentally I fractured my left hip in 2003 after a bad skating fall. I was in my early thirties at the time, so relatively young. It’s certainly a life changing injury - I had pins to hold the joint together, which were then removed at a later stage. I regret that I didn’t take physio rehab more seriously - although I was active again a couple of months after the injury, I should have focussed on re-building core strength in the joint.

So I wish you a quick recovery, and know how frustrating it is to be trapped at home. I’ve vowed to return to the Scillies with my Klepper at some point, and I’ll certainly be in touch - thank you for your kind offer of hospitality, and possibly a paddle once you’re all healed.

F