Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2016 2:01 pm 
forum fanatic

The Klepper rudder pedals leave a lot to be desired. They are hard to install and remove, often slide during use and are just clunky.
I see that there is a page describing a lot of different modifications (http://www.foldingkayaks.org/WP/?page_id=116) but all of the picture links are broken.

Anyone have suggestions of how to improve or replace the pedal system?

Update: I have a version with two slanted metal clips and a thumb screw to squeeze them against the floor board. I see that Klepper now makes a rail system with a large lock nut. Wonder if I can add that to what I have...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 11:58 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Here is how i fitted the peddles to frame 4 on one of my Aerius 2s. They stay on. I am not saying it is the best way just the way i did it for next to nothing. Yes i find it ok, if i didn,t it would have gone.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Last edited by john allsop on Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 4:42 pm 
forum fanatic

Interesting. Those are built from scratch, right? Not a modification of the stock pedals from what I can tell.

You pretty happy with them?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:07 pm 

Old trick I saw used by Ralph Hoehn: a simple dowel or piece of wood, about 18" across, with the rudder lines connected to each end. You keep constant pressure on it with your feet, so that it doesn't fall. Works at least as well as the stock setup.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:12 pm 

Here,s how i did it on my Folbot Yukon when i moved the seat back. Of course there can be no forward seat. the "cross bar" pivots round the post.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:40 am 
faltbootemeister

how do you store gear infront of the post??
removing the post???

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2016 4:26 pm 

There is room under the deck at the front and behind the seat, but the flotation bags would need to be deflated a little. Although for camping trips where i need to carry my gear in the kayak i am most likely to use an Aerius 2 which i use alone.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:35 pm 

What about using a strap system to hold the rudder assembly in position relative to the rib. Then the clamp and screw would only need to hold the assembly to the floor board laterally which would make the tightening a lot less important. The strap(s) could be adjusted moving the assembly forward and back. I might try this myself. I've struggled for years with those knuckle busting wing nuts.

Here are a couple others:

I always thought this was a pretty nice solution, simple idea, and pretty flexible in placement provided you can keep all the lines tight. Scroll about a third of the way down the page and you'll see the illustration:

http://www.faltbootbasteln.de/fbb-faltboot_unter_segeln.html

You might give Mark a call over at Long Haul. He has rudder peddle assemblies built into the ribs. He also has a peddle assembly similar to Klepper's but instead of clamping on the edges of the floor boards it mounts on a couple rails in front of the rib with cotter pins. It's an easy assembly and would be a fairly straight forward mod. What I don't like about this or the Klepper center rail system is that it places a metal rail down the center of the boat. This can make dangerous edges if you ever need to move around the boat on your knees. Other than having the rail, I think the Klepper system should work pretty good.

http://longhaulfoldingkayaks.com/wordpress2/boats-2/the-mark-ii/

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP