Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Dec 13, 2018 10:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 9:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hello Jon,

Two things keep me from sailing my 520-Z: the lack of the cross member for the lee boards but more importantly, that paddle boats in Ohio are licensed (every three years you have to renew the tags) and I only licensed mine for paddling, would cost more to sail it. Bottom line is that I would have to go to Michigan to sail it legally. Yeah, I know, I should quit complaining and just get the right tags and fully enjoy my Pionier.

I really enjoy paddling the 520-z, either with my kids or solo. I paddle it from the rear seat, but an contemplating how I could mount a seat and backrest in a more central position. Mounting the seat isn't the challenge, but I think the backrest mount will be difficult. Still, I think this kayak will make a fast solo boat!

When are you planning on having your 520-Z rehabbed and in the water?

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:54 am 
forum fanatic

Hi Barry,
I am happy to report that the Heise skin fit like a glove. Quite the epic assembly. I do not plan on taking it apart.
The sails were unused when they were given to me and even with a couple mouse holes they were up to the task. I found some awesome hiking seats that work great on the coaming.
Attachment:
20160818_092744-001.jpg

It was a hit at the gathering each year we put on in Maine for kayak sailors in the Rangeley Lakes area. We also have 2 events on the Chesapeake each spring and fall.
Neither require registration for sailing craft so you may want to try and attend one! Look up sails angels on facebook or PM me for details.

Attachment:
20160802_125026 (1).jpg

Attachment:
pioniersailing2.jpg

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2016 8:26 am 
faltbootemeister

Hello John,

So you did go with a new skin for your 520-Z from Herr Heise too. He is such a great resource, I hope he's planning on making these skins for a few more years because I would like a new skin for my Klepper T-9 to replace one I have from Wayland. Thanks for posting the pictures of you sailing your 520-Z, very nice! Makes me want to take mine out for a sail too. I've never sailed a boat with a mizzen, is it a lot of extra work, or more set it and forget it?

Yes, epic is a good way to describe the assembly of this Pionier - I too have never disassembled mine even though I need to to straighten the alignment of the skin on the frame a little toward the bow. I had to resort to, what I thought were temporary, zip ties to keep some of the pins of the floor boards in place during assembly. I ended up with an orange deck color, which is similar to one of the original color options from Pionier, though I should've gone Markus's "Signal Rot", probably would have been truer to the original. Any rate, one would never be confused when looking at my Klepper Aerius 2 and the Pionier 520-Z on the water from a distance which is which!

The sails I received with my boat looked unused and I haven't ID'd any damage, maybe a stain or two. Believe it or not I got the frame and all the sailing bits but the cross member we discussed earlier for $60! Did your come with the original paddles? They are works of art too (name escapes me at the moment. I found out about the boat by accident as I was, on a whim, on eBay looking for some vintage wooden paddles as the one that came with my Klepper are pretty ratty from years of use. Long story short I got the paddles from these guys in Indiana and the mentioned I they had this wooden boat frame too. Pretty happy about my "barn find" Pionier. The new skin from Heise was a little more, but I'm certainly not complaining about that - he does great work. Not to mention if Markus didn't do this our options for getting skins for these great old boats would be pretty thin.

I'll try to post some pix of my boat here, and then I got to get started on a replacement cross-member so I can take her sailing.

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:24 am 
forum fanatic

[quote="BarryM"]Hello John,

So you did go with a new skin for your 520-Z from Herr Heise too. He is such a great resource, I hope he's planning on making these skins for a few more years because I would like a new skin for my Klepper T-9 to replace one I have from Wayland. Thanks for posting the pictures of you sailing your 520-Z, very nice! Makes me want to take mine out for a sail too. I've never sailed a boat with a mizzen, is it a lot of extra work, or more set it and forget it?

[b]I keep a close eye on all the sails because the boat gets very tender in any type of gust or winds over 10 MPH.[/b]

Yes, epic is a good way to describe the assembly of this Pionier - I too have never disassembled mine even though I need to to straighten the alignment of the skin on the frame a little toward the bow. I had to resort to, what I thought were temporary, zip ties to keep some of the pins of the floor boards in place during assembly. I ended up with an orange deck color, which is similar to one of the original color options from Pionier, though I should've gone Markus's "Signal Rot", probably would have been truer to the original. Any rate, one would never be confused when looking at my Klepper Aerius 2 and the Pionier 520-Z on the water from a distance which is which!

The sails I received with my boat looked unused and I haven't ID'd any damage, maybe a stain or two. Believe it or not I got the frame and all the sailing bits but the cross member we discussed earlier for $60! Did your come with the original paddles? They are works of art too (name escapes me at the moment. I found out about the boat by accident as I was, on a whim, on eBay looking for some vintage wooden paddles as the one that came with my Klepper are pretty ratty from years of use. Long story short I got the paddles from these guys in Indiana and the mentioned I they had this wooden boat frame too. Pretty happy about my "barn find" Pionier. The new skin from Heise was a little more, but I'm certainly not complaining about that - he does great work. Not to mention if Markus didn't do this our options for getting skins for these great old boats would be pretty thin.

I was given the Pionier this spring from a family who needed to downsize and had no time for keeping the Pionier afloat. Luckily I found this forum and received all the info I needed to pursue the new Heise skin.

Here is a pic of the Thwart I made to keep track of the sail lines and hold the Lee Boards.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Folbot Greenland II
Pionier 520 Z
Klepper A 1