Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Paddling an A2 solo...
PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 12:20 pm 
paddler

Hello,

Has anyone ever added a set of T-pins to better distribute the weight of a single paddler in an A2? Any thoughts or finer points would be helpful!

Thanks,

-Stuart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:21 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Greetings,

You can easily add t-fittings, but I would not bother. If you have an older A2 you will have the pain of locating new seat brackets. Newer Kleppers have a rail system but it can still require some tinkering to get the seat to hold firm. Paddling from rear is not a big weight distribution problem (unless you are talking about 250+ pounds or so). And paddling from middle is more difficult owing to wider beam. Now sailing is a different issue. My experience is that sailing from the rear without ballast (either a person or water bags) in bow makes for difficult handling. Good luck!

g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:59 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Klepper now have a seat location in the centre for solo paddling and a spray cover to match. But I have paddled for many years solo from the rear seat and even made my own spray covers with one hole at the rear location so there are no problems paddling from the rear.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:03 pm 
Site Admin

My A-II does have a third set of t-pins and a seat bracket mounted in the center. I used to paddle it solo almost 20 years ago, when it was the only kayak I owned. It’s a bit easier to maneuver when you’re not using a rudder. It’s an inexpensive enough mod. Alternatively, you can use something like a Long Haul Comfort Seat and just lash it to the center with no need for hardware mods. The LH seat is more comfortable than the Klepper seat, and offers lumbar support as well. I have a pair of them I prefer to the Klepper seats.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:59 am 
paddler

gbellware wrote:
Greetings,

You can easily add t-fittings, but I would not bother. If you have an older A2 you will have the pain of locating new seat brackets. Newer Kleppers have a rail system but it can still require some tinkering to get the seat to hold firm. Paddling from rear is not a big weight distribution problem (unless you are talking about 250+ pounds or so). And paddling from middle is more difficult owing to wider beam. Now sailing is a different issue. My experience is that sailing from the rear without ballast (either a person or water bags) in bow makes for difficult handling. Good luck!

g

Thanks for the response, -that is an interesting point regarding the beam...Something that hadn't occurred to me at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:03 am 
paddler

john allsop wrote:
Klepper now have a seat location in the centre for solo paddling and a spray cover to match. But I have paddled for many years solo from the rear seat and even made my own spray covers with one hole at the rear location so there are no problems paddling from the rear.

Thank you! Keeping to the back when paddling solo is a good point, -and perhaps then only having to spend to own ONE spray cover (designed for two paddlers) even when paddling solo, is a definite consideration.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:24 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I find that the Klepper seats are not very good, in any case.
I suggest one of the following:
1. Buy a seat from a company that makes better, more comfortable seats which strap in-- two to look at are Long Haul and Pakboats. Then strap the seat wherever it makes you happy, and paddle on.
2. Find a 5-, 10-, or 10+ gallon plastic container and place it in the front seat, filled with ballast water from wherever you are putting in, and then paddle from the back seat. This has a few advantages: paddling from the middle places you at the widest point in the boat, which exacerbates the Klepper's already elbows-high paddling position. I find that the elbows-high position makes it hard to employ proper torso-rotation when I am paddling. Also, if you use this idea, consider putting a splash of bleach (or similar disinfecting agent) in it after every paddle-- otherwise you run the risk of transporting problems from one body of water to another like ships spread problems (such as invasive species) in their ballast water.

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:19 am 
paddler

chrstjrn wrote:
I find that the Klepper seats are not very good, in any case.
I suggest one of the following:
1. Buy a seat from a company that makes better, more comfortable seats which strap in-- two to look at are Long Haul and Pakboats. Then strap the seat wherever it makes you happy, and paddle on.
2. Find a 5-, 10-, or 10+ gallon plastic container and place it in the front seat, filled with ballast water from wherever you are putting in, and then paddle from the back seat. This has a few advantages: paddling from the middle places you at the widest point in the boat, which exacerbates the Klepper's already elbows-high paddling position. I find that the elbows-high position makes it hard to employ proper torso-rotation when I am paddling. Also, if you use this idea, consider putting a splash of bleach (or similar disinfecting agent) in it after every paddle-- otherwise you run the risk of transporting problems from one body of water to another like ships spread problems (such as invasive species) in their ballast water.

Excellent! Thanks! Since I hope to do some future camping with the A2, getting used to a rear position with gear stowed up front is a great idea.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:47 pm 
forum fanatic

I ballast the A2 with 8-10 one gallon windshield washer jugs filled with water when I paddle solo or sail. The jugs can be distributed for proper trim. A cockpit cover can be used on the forward position of the spray cover.

I have installed "tabs" and a clip in the middle position for a classic A2. I clipped in a padded back band. I prefer paddling from the rear position.