Aerius 1 year?

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Scousemouse
forum fan

Aerius 1 year?

Post by Scousemouse »

Can you help me identify year and hull material of my recently acquired boat. I'm guessing I may need the year/model type for repairs.
I have only attached a "clipped" image as I was having trouble getting the file small enough to attach.
Attachments
Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 10.46.46.png
Screenshot 2020-01-18 at 10.46.46.png (107.28 KiB) Viewed 1461 times

john allsop
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Aerius 1 year?

Post by john allsop »

I think you said this is an Aerius 1, unfortunately I have Aerius 2s , but the sewn emblem on the deck will help to narrow the date down a little, a member will know when Klepper went from this emblem to the one printed, or a decal was introduced. Also the bugee cords which look like they are going across will help. From the photo it looks like a hyperlon hull and in good condition. If you can,t reduce the size of the photos, photos of specific areas might help, but others might be able to suggest how to make your photos smaller. I will look through my old catalogs to see if I can come up with anything.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

The only differences between Aerius Is of different vintages are hull and seats, to the best of my knowledge. Mark at Long Haul is who you want to talk to about parts and repairs.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Scousemouse
forum fan

Post by Scousemouse »

Thanks for the Mark contact. That would be ideal
to be able to access that knowledge. I take it he's approachable and not just say "another bloody amateur".
Also thanks for the "Hyperlon" suggestion. Its the hull material I'm trying to ascertain.

RainerM
forum fanatic

Post by RainerM »

built in the 1980s (mid-1990s), "Hypalon" with Trevira base fabric, more pictures are necessary for a more accurate dating.
R.
Last edited by RainerM on Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Scousemouse
forum fan

Post by Scousemouse »

Think I've worked out how to compress images so will take a couple tomorrow. Thanks for the input so far. The hull material was by primary interest so I know how what adhesives and preservatives are available.

Scousemouse
forum fan

Post by Scousemouse »

Here she is hoovered, washed well rinsed and drying before the 303 arrives. here are a couple more images to clarify hull material from year of boat. Apologies but my computer seems to think they look better upside down, or it is predicting my future in the boat.
If she is Hypalon it can be seen that some edges of the keel strip are coming away. What is the choice of cleaners (I have panel wipe/white gas) adhesive and finally protectant to keep the hull in good condition. I have had good results with "Armour all" and autoglym plastic and rubber treatment on cars and biles in the past or is there something better?
Attachments
IMG_0538.jpg
IMG_0538.jpg (23.32 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_4.jpeg (45.83 KiB) Viewed 1437 times
IMG_0547.jpg
IMG_0547.jpg (34.85 KiB) Viewed 1437 times

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Looks good, as you maybe inverted, bags of air in the bow and stern, tied in, are recommended even though you have air filled sponsons. For cleaner preserver here in the UK I recommend Professional Rib Valet & Inflatable Boat Cleaning Kit £23.95, they also have Hypalon Professional !-part Inflatable Boat Glue Adhesive 70ml £5.75, these are obtainable from http://www.ribstore.co.uk. I think the cleaning kit is great. Oh yes postage cost me £6.95. I,ll dig a couple of phots out and add them. Your boat looks very good, get it ready for summer the odd day between June and September. The photos show the bottom of the hull after using the Rib Store boat cleaner, and bags tied in the bow and stern of my Aerius 2. Two photos of the bags by mistake (couldn,t delete one)
Attachments
2015 FALL 009.JPG
2015 FALL 009.JPG (55.99 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
P1010085.JPG
P1010085.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1431 times
P1010085.JPG
P1010085.JPG (47.33 KiB) Viewed 1432 times

Scousemouse
forum fan

Post by Scousemouse »

Thanks John.
I have a couple of bags from an open boat. I just want to add a length of tubing to the filler tube so I can add air from the cockpit. The tubes at the moment are only about 10" long. Your hull has come out good. Will have a look at ribstore now. Is your hull Hypalon.

john allsop

Post by john allsop »

Yes my hull is hypalon, it,s a quattro. The adhesive I mentioned being a 1 shot means no mixing is required and as it is made for Hypalon it should be pretty good. The 2 part adhesive will probably be a bit better, but you get a can and a very small bottle of hardener which has to be added to the can, once mixed the adhesive has a life of a few hours before it hardens. If you ever wanted keel strips these usually have to come from a Klepper dealer. I found that inflatable boat dealers don,t or wont cut strips down the length of a roll of Hypalon, for me they would only cut across the roll,s so limiting the lengths to 4 feet, One big advantage of putting air bags in the boat is in case it fills with water there is less water because of the volume of the bags, in over 40 years I have never capsized but now I am on the sea it might change.

Return to “Klepper”