Sea Kayaking?

Discussions, reviews, and questions about books, maps, and charts for kayakers.

Moderator: chrstjrn

EncoreJoe
paddler

Sea Kayaking?

Post by EncoreJoe »

I have a used Klepper A2 on the way from LongHaul Kayaks.

Being a newbie I'll start with calm water, then mild rivers, but I'm enjoying learning as much as I can about this new hobby.

Is anyone familiar with "The Complete Sea Kayakers Handbook, Second Edition Paperback – February 9, 2011"?

https://www.amazon.com/Sea-Kayak-Rescue ... 851&sr=8-2

Will it apply reasonably to a folding kayak?

Thanks.

Joe

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Sea Kayaking?

Post by Yakadoodle »

The book you want is this one:

"Complete Folding Kayaker", 2nd Ed. by Ralph Diaz

https://www.amazon.com/Complete-Folding ... 144&sr=8-4
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Re: Sea Kayaking?

Post by Christov10 »

EncoreJoe wrote:
Thu Oct 08, 2020 1:08 pm
Is anyone familiar with "The Complete Sea Kayakers Handbook, Second Edition Paperback – February 9, 2011"?
Yes! I have that and have actually used one of the rescues - dumping water out of the other boat by lifting it inverted onto my kayak's deck iirc, both boats side by side to get the other paddler in while in fairly deep water (30-40 feet, I think) in relatively calm lakewater to get a friend back into an old Pionier single I had.

I'd been paddling with a friend who was then in his mid-seventies when he capsized - no obvious reason. Fall day - outside temps in upper forties to mid fifties but water still warm-ish. We paddled back to the put-in and called it a day. If I hadn't read that book, I wouldn't have had any idea what to do beyond try to get him to shore from the water.

Return to “Books, Maps, and Charts”