Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:34 pm 
paddler

Had a close call last year in the ocean.
Plan to do some bail out rolls this summer.

QUESTION: How many gallons of water does the Mark II hold??

Obviously want to get a rough estimate on bail at 8gpm....

If i don't get an answer by June i shall repost with one..

Have a wonderful life.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:52 am 
forum fanatic

I don't know how much it can hold, but I do know that if you fill it right up with air bags and fit a spray deck before you capsize it then there will be very little water inside after you right it. I tested that.

Rob.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 2:53 pm 
forum fan

Klepper says the Aerius Expedition II+ 545 has a volume of 600 liters. Having owned a AEII and now a MkII, I'd say that's a reasonable estimate for both boats. So call it 160 gallons. Or 20 minutes of pumping. I think realistically, you'll pump for 30 minutes.

I'm planning a Montauk to Block Island paddle early summer, and we're certainly using float bags and the spray deck. Bailing out a MkII would be a fun stunt in a warm lake on a summer day. Not so awesome in rough water in Block Island Sound.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:42 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I've done the warm lake and summer day bail out several times with an AII and it's and easy 20-30 minute scenario (I also have to deal with a sail but by that time the pump is working). I usually carry my pump and anchor line in a canvas bucket (2 gallons maybe?). The bucket makes quick work of moving a lot of water very quickly. The anchor line keeps you from blowing into anything if you are close to shore. I haven't tried it, but theoretically you could even fashion a makeshift drogue with the bucket and line.

You cannot roll the water out of a double folder very easily. Personally I think the effort is better spent bailing.

Once you get the majority of the water out, down to several inches left, start paddling if you are in weather and let the pump finish the job. The boat under way will be less likely to take on more water than when it's bobbing in turmoil.

As Robert said though, filling the spaces and having a good deck on top will eliminate a lot of the water problem from the get go. Another contributor DoiNomazi was able to have a neoprene spray skirt made for the LH cockpit covers. That could be a very nice addition. You can find his info thread somewhere in here.

Bjorn, when are you going? Will you be sailing? Sounds like a great trip.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:37 am 
Site Admin

I use a deck cover in anything but shallow water. I also fill as much space as possible with air bags.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:11 am 
forum fan

DLee wrote:
Bjorn, when are you going? Will you be sailing? Sounds like a great trip.
I was planning to go the 2nd weekend in July, but that's now the date of the Manhattan Circumnavigation hosted by the YPRC, which I might do instead (provided I can find another paddler - my usual buddies have declined). I'll be paddling, not sailing. I did Pt. Judith to BI last summer and it was great. Real sense of adventure, even though it was pancake flat.