Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 7:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:46 am 
recent arrival

I am about to buy a new Long Haul Mark 2.

I am large, 6-3 and about 280 lbs. I am pretty strong and naturally athletic, but just now learning proper paddling technique.

Mark at Long Haul recommends I get the stretch version, which makes sense to me as it gives me more leg room when paddling tandem.

I need to choose between regular Mark 2 or quattro. I am not concerned about the little added weight for the quattro. I am used to using a cart on land to assist with kayak transfers.

Most of my paddling will be in western Washington and British Columbia. The mean salt water temperatures in this area range between 48 and 54 degrees. With water this cold, without an exposure suit you have only about 15 or 20 minutes to get out of the water and get warm before hypothermia sets in.

We can also get extreme currents in some areas and tidal rips can be quite dangerous at their peak.

I am wondering about how the standard and quattro configurations compare when paddling solo. I have heard the quattro might paddle slightly faster.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 3:49 pm 
Site Admin

My understanding is that the Quattro version gives you, optionally, a flatter hull and more stability when hauling heavy loads. It was designed for the military. I have add-on Quattro style sponsons (from Mark)on my AII but I’ve never used them. I’d take Mark’s advice, as he knows his boats better than anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:00 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Adding my $.02...

Yes, the stretch will work better for you. I am 6'2" and paddle a "stretch" quattro Klepper with same dimensions as the LongHaul and it is the only way to go when paddling tandem. Not an issue for me when paddling solo, however. As for quattro being faster...hmmm...can't see why that might be and I don't get the sense that my quattro is faster than my old A2. But if you are looking for speed then this boat is not the first choice, for sure! What I have noticed is that I can make the kayak track better by adjusting the air to shape the hull is the best "v" that I can manage and that helps in the tracking in the wind, currents, and when under sail. Hope that helps,
g

1990 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
36' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:16 pm 
Site Admin

I’m 6’2”, 220, and I have an A-II and a Mark-I, and I do prefer the Mark-I for solo paddling. I paddled the A-II solo years ago when it was my only boat.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:41 am 
recent arrival

I am not focused on speed. I just want it fast enough to be able to ride with a pack.

Extreme stability and safety is my goal. With our cold waters, a capsize is not likely survivable without help or a good exposure suit. I am looking into paddling drysuits, my diving drysuit would not work for paddling, too cumbersome and uncomfortable.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am 
recent arrival

I am not focused on speed. I just want it fast enough to be able to ride with a pack.

Extreme stability and safety is my goal. With our cold waters, a capsize is not likely survivable without help or a good exposure suit. I am looking into paddling drysuits, my diving drysuit would not work for paddling, too cumbersome and uncomfortable.