Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:57 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:29 pm 
Although the hole in the backrest has corrected the problem of the deckbar fitting digging into the seat, I don't like how much flex the back of the seat has against the rib. I'm thinking that a section of wood, running top to bottom, along either side of the drilled hole would stabilize and strengthen everything. A piece of wood the same size as the "spreader" bar would be perfect.

I still can't see how such an otherwise well designed boat can have such an obvious flaw, but...

I still love my MK1 :D

So much I just placed an order for a BSD sail kit. But it'll be awhile, time enough to get that seat "just right"! 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:13 am 
BrianAZ wrote:
Although the hole in the backrest has corrected the problem of the deckbar fitting digging into the seat, I don't like how much flex the back of the seat has against the rib. I'm thinking that a section of wood, running top to bottom, along either side of the drilled hole would stabilize and strengthen everything. A piece of wood the same size as the "spreader" bar would be perfect.

To my best memory (have sold MK1), I've used 3/4" thick stoppers approximately 2" long adjacent to the top metal bracket of the rib (measurements in horizontal plane), cut out of 3/4" plywood and screwed/epoxied to the upper section of the rib. They must have a slanted surface at the contact with backrest, as this top of the rib isn't horizontal and the backrest isn't vertical. (Hard to explain - you'll see what I mean after installing them flat). Spreader bar is, I'm afraid, not thick enough (1/2" ?). They are blocking the access to cargo TAD.

Why not stoppers on the backrest? My thinking was that 1) Installed on the backrest, they might not always "hit" the rib, unless made very big . 2) The seat is already a bulky item in the bag, and adding more superstructures would make it even more bulky.

Post subject: Re: LH Mk 1 comments
PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2018 8:22 pm 
forum fanatic

I've got a LH MK 1 that I use quite a lot. I just bought the two fittings that the Klepper SL 490 uses for the aft cockpit rib/deck bar attachment and did a mod on the aft deck bar and the rib. No more fitting to protrude into the back of the seat. Works great. It allows the seat back to be a bit further aft. Useful when lolling.