Report after one season

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

george
forum fan

Report after one season

Post by george »

I thought I would report on my impressions of the Stretch Long Haul that was delivered last March.

My observations are from the perspective of someone who is large (6-3) and big (270). I am fit and athletic but getting older.

My kayak skills are not the best, I have minimal training. I also have stability issues with smaller kayaks because of my size. I have kayaked a fair amount on day trips mostly in rental boats and before this had little experience with folding kayaks.

I am sure it is a surprise to no one that my new Long Haul was really well built. This is a boat that can be trusted in difficult conditions.

I have it set up so my boat can be used as a single or a tandem so I have used it both ways.

My big concern in getting this boat was speed. I was not looking to race but I wanted a boat that could keep up in a group of kayaks.

Overall the kayak is very comfortable. I can paddle hours on end with no physical problems other than being out of shape. The boat feels very stable and kind of rolls over and through waves. Quite different from hard shell kayaks.

SINGLEHAND: I have been happy with the speed I can get out of the kayak operating single handed. Having a longer water line helps with speed. I seem generally able to get it up to hull speed with a level of effort that can be maintained over several hours. The boat tracks really well. Overall I am happy with the way it works as a single.

I have to fine tune the seat position to give me an ideal distance for bracing my feet. Currently I think I am slightly too far away from the pedals as things are set now.

TANDEM: The boat is also very stable with two aboard. My seat position is ideal. I have sort of compared speed, I think I can get more speed with a strong paddler with me but not that much more.

The only issue I have had is, with a tall male paddler in the front, my paddle movements can be felt up front if I am not careful to keep my feet to the side.

OVERALL: There is a certain amount of ritual associated with preparing and transporting the kayak. I don't currently have a place at home where the kayak could be kept assembled. Between that and my busy schedule the kayak does not get used as much as I would want. I think this summer I am going to find someplace that has sheltered waterside storage for those warm summer weekday evenings.

Longer trips where we stay multiple days by the water are heavenly. We have more of those planned this year.

I think this would be ideal for long trips camping every night. Unfortunately, my wife Does Not Camp.

Return to “Long Haul”