Mark I

Moderators: chrstjrn, mje, krudave

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Re: Mark I

Post by Yakadoodle »

Here's a very good video on Greenland Paddling from Paulo Ouellet at "Dancing with the Sea". He has very course content going on and a really good community forum going for members. He is a good teacher for the Greenland style.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtctJ5 ... _i_eRnmlwQ
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Snapshot of the MK I I'm buying - https://www.flickr.com/photos/11192505@ ... ed-public/
Almost ready. Mark said he's going to make a couple of changes to hullskin and frame, but as of today the hardware's all installed on the frame. He'll send me an invoice and I'll send a check and it's a go.

Yakadoodle
faltbootemeister

Post by Yakadoodle »

Sweet Looking!
Too bad you have to get it wet! :lol:
"Yakadoodle" ...I had to come up with some name since Steve already stole my name! :lol:

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Paddling the kayak will be the best part of having it. I've found a Texas company that does drysuit repairs and will get that sent out this week. Soon, I think, I will again be the only kayaker on the lakes hereabouts during the Fall and Winter months.

Jake
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Jake »

Simply possessing such a lovely craft is almost enough in itself. Paddling it will be a bonus. Here’s wishing you many pleasant hours in your handsome new boat😊.

Rob
forum fanatic

Post by Rob »

I like paddling when I'm the only one out there.

It is wonderful.

Took a trip to Lake Tahoe in the middle of Winter to "play eskimo" back in the day, in a fiberglass kayak. I was the only one on the water.

Sadly though, there was no snow at lake level, like I'd hope for, so I was unable to build a snow cave. Of course, a big Winter storm did come in while I was there, but it was a warm one, and dumped tons of rain on me, and the wind knocked down my tarp. Had to wedge the kayak between me and some trees, to try to hunker down from the wind, rain, and blowing sand all night. The sleeping bag half-filled with water too, which was a joy.

Morning finally broke, the storm was gone, and the doughnuts on the rock while enjoying the sunrise were delicious. The silence, and view from the point on Emerald Bay was stunning.

Shortly after breakfast, I paddled back to the truck, again, all alone on the lake, turned the heater on full blast, drove home, and took a nice, long, hot shower. That was really wonderful too.

Christov10
faltbootemeister

Post by Christov10 »

Thanks, Jake. I mailed the check yesterday, so should have the kayak w/in a couple of weeks.

Rob, being the only one on the water, getting on the water early is what I like best about off-season paddling, too. The feel of the water as it's beginning to slush, to ice is interesting - can feel it thicken while paddling. I've always enjoyed the feel of my car's seat after hours in a kayak as well as the feel of my socks when I change out of my water shoes in the warmer months. The hot shower back home, as you said, is a joy.

That rain storm adventure sounds like it was pretty miserable for a while. My thing on the water is usually to paddle somewhat farther than I think is the halfway point I can easily return from and then see how I do. Probably stupid. My wife says I overprepare, but that's why I overprepare with extra food, emergency stuff, etc. Pretty sure I got the idea from some semi-goofy movie I saw when I was much younger - a helicopter pilot character would fly his aircraft always a bit farther each time than previously, past the halfway mark on fuel, then would see if he could make it back in to where ever he kept the helicopter. Pretty lame, now that I think about it, to find inspiration from a Hollywood production. I should be more resistant to media influence.

Return to “Long Haul”