Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Mileage per trip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 12:28 pm 
My new Mark II is on the way as well as a Kayaksailor 1.4. The skin will also fit my A-II, so I basically have a boat and a half.
Now, my question is, "How many of you out there paddle their Long Hauls regularly at least 30-40 miles?

I am more concerned with those of you who use the Mark I because that may be my next solo "mileage" boat once I sell my kevlar Kruger Sea Wind. I plan on using the Mark I in the Everglades Challenge and you have to average about 40 miles per day to meet the check point deadlines.

Guess I'm looking for answers about comfort, average easy going speeds, ease of packing (I plan on getting the oval hatches), how it handles in confused seas etc.

Post subject: Re: Mileage per trip
PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 2:30 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Great to hear you are doing the Challenge, can't wait to hear how it goes.

As for 40 miles average per day, that is a full day in any kayak (unless you are going downriver). Don't know exactly where the Challenge takes place and how the course is oriented to the prevailing winds, but that will obviously make all the difference. 40 miles is an easy daysail in the right conditions, but if you are fighting any kind of breeze it will be a different story.

Congrats on having the time and wherewithal to tackle this. Take pics and post!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 3:02 pm 
I did participate in the Everglades Challenge this year in March. I used my SeaWind and made it from Fort Desoto to Chokoloskee in 4 1/2 days. About 170 miles. The finish is in Key Largo, but I dropped out at checkpoint 2. I made a lot of rookie mistakes and at that point I decided I had enjoyed myself enough! lol !!

I did use a Balogh/Boss set up, but the winds were against me a big part of the way. Contrary to what they normally are for that time of year, so a lot of paddling. I should have taken the Balogh down several times and stored it, but got lazy. That's why the change to the Kayaksailor. Not as much sail, but easier to store when not needed, but up in a moments notice. I ordered the 1.4 which should be a fine fit for the Mark I if I order it. For now, it will be used on my Mark II maybe with the new jib David and Patti are working on.

On one stretch I was in the boat and moving for just over 30 hours, tired, dazed, confused, but physically comfortable.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 10, 2011 8:37 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Randy,

I have seen the Kayaksailor jib in video and I can't wait to try it, the lines look really sweet. Just curious, why did you choose against the larger main? I think it is more versatile, imo, as it can be reefed and, even in gusty conditions, it can dump wind like nobody's business. Good sailing!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:02 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Wow, thanks for mentioning that Jib they're working on... I think I'm sold. Now I just need to sell the 'boss' on it. Ha.

Here's the link for anyone else who hasn't seen it:

http://new.kayaksailor.com/messing-about-with-headsails/

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:57 am 
I spoke to David at Kuvia and told him my plans to get the Mark I with a lesser beam than the Mark II. I was concerned about healing and having to lean for long periods of time (30 hours sounds about right-lol !!). Also getting hit in the middle of the night by a squall. He suggested the 1.4 and supplement it with the jib. The center of effort is lower (hence less healing) and the 1.4 plus jib is going to be more power than the 1.6 by itself. Besides, 1.6's are out of stock for 6 weeks.

I can also use the set-up on the Mark II. Gerald said he tried the 1.4 on the Klepper A-II and everyone was surprised by the speed. I bought the Mark II to get my "Sea Princess" out on the water so she can experience the wonderous stuff I do. She is not a real big fan of "deep water" and sailing (healing) let alone kayaking, but when I bought the old Klepper A-II and went out in it with the S-2 jib, she had a smile from ear to ear (me too!) :D . Ok, SOLD!!! After she gets acclimated and possibly co-erced by me to take some longer trips, I may go ahead and get the 1.6 and can use my jib too. Originally I ordered a new Long Haul skin, but upgraded to a whole boat after thinking about it. They have agreat deal going on.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:37 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Any updates on the new boat and sail Randy?

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:23 am 
Class 1 EC limits sail size to 1 sqm. PA, Spirit and FEKS is all that there is there. With 1.4 sqm (2.5 sqm with jib may be) you'll qualify for Class 3 and will compete with people carrying somewhere from 3 sqm (32 BSD) to 6 sqm sail area (schooner rigs).

Monohull with a small sail has certain advantages over large sail outrigger systems like Balogh Boss, but only under certain conditions, like when you have to paddle, i.e. no wind or straight headwind. OTH, when wind is right, long hours of sailing a monohull can be tedious because it's much less comfortable - you can't really lean from the standard seat, and it's challenging to keep the balance in 28" boat when wind picks up.

So, in my opinion, small upwind sail on a monohull like MK1 is more gear than downwind rig, less comfort than outrigger upwind rig, and questionable little gain in average speed. "More gear" also means other potential issues in case of Kuwia - don't want to comment on this now.

Double kayaks like MKII/AEII are big enough for 1.6-2.0 sqm sail sans outriggers, so comfort is less of an issue, and they benefit more from sail (any sail), being SO slow under solo paddling power.

MK1 as an EC participant - I didn't think it was possible, but, technically, MK1 is somewhat close in size to Kruger Seawind, shorter though. Unless Seawind sale was caused by some storage/travel restrictions, there won't be much to gain in switching to MK1. Will be slower, for a number of reasons. And wetter. And more pain to load/unload cargo - usual thing with folders, all those frame members getting in the way and sponsons taking precious space (and sponsons fail sometimes - had 2 failures of different nature on one sponson in 2 weeks, once). Also, MK1 is heavier than Seawind (this isn't the only reason why it is slower), and you'll have to deal with this extra weight when launching/landing.

PS: last weekend fixed my old umbrella (was about to throw it to garbage) and took it for a spin, following advice of many. "Sail" size, to my estimate, was about 1 sqm. Was surprised how fast it was on my Nimbus in moderate 8-10 knots wind. No kidding. Easy to raise and lower this "sail", can be stowed under deck bungees when not in use. Only one problem - couldn't see where I was going.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:06 am 
I already have the Kuvia Kayaksailor and the mount from Gerald at Klepper America. Looks like it is really well made. The Mark II will be in next week.

I'll post some pictures and comments after I've done a month or so of sea trials.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:27 pm 
Good morning,
Im sponsoring Sandy in the WT chaleng ,after her input this year Iv just released a new sail espeshaly for it its 1srmtr by now she shold have the prototipe, the production sail will have reefing as well to reduce it to about .5 merer , Iv also got room to sponsor one or two other competitors with the new 1mtr rig, the cach is you need to be a good ''ambasodor'' for my sails, that is be abel to talk honistly about them, worts and all, and be abel to put back into development with your finding on yousing them . The next step is to design a mount sutabel for on folders , eny imput most apresiated !
regards
Mick MacRobb
flat earth kayak sails