Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 4:27 pm 
forum fanatic

I am going to be ordering a new MK1 shortly and would appreciate some advice from those with experience with these boats. I am leaning toward the synthetic deck material and wonder from those who have this material if they would do it again, or go back to cotton? Comfort seat or standard seat? Should I order the cotton sleeves for the frame parts? I already have a tuck under spray skirt from my Aerius 1, which worked OK for my use. Is there any reason to consider the more elaborate skirt? I intend to order the extra keel strips and the perimeter deck line. I do not want hatch covers or the zippered decks. Anything else that should be considered?

Thanks,

Bill

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 7:07 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Hi Bill, don't know if you've ordered yet, but I have a LH Ute with the SeaMark and I think it's fine. Actually, I had to leave it out all summer and it got some mildew on the canvas. The inside seems to have a type of protective coating on it and I was pleasantly surprised how nicely it cleaned off with a little mild soap and water. The exterior didn't seem to attract the mildew as much if at all. The Ute is very small as well and although I never really paddled it on a really hot day, the covering didn't seem much different temperature wise than cotton would have been.

The Ute I have does have two deck hatches - I have found these kind of convenient for helping to dry the boat and occasionally dig inside the bow or stern to make an unusual adjustment of check. Obviously they would be great for packing stuff for a trip.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:05 am 
Site Admin

I have the LH Velcro tuck-under on my Mk-I, and an LH-made standard solo spray deck for my Aerius II. Both are of excellent quality, of course. I do like the ease of getting in and out using the Velcro tuck-under, but I also like the simplicity of the standard spray deck. It just gets down to personal preference.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:36 pm 
forum fanatic

Thanks for your input. The frame only is enroute and due to arrive two days from now. Assuming it fits my physiology better than the AE1 did, the skin will be ordered late this week, so your feedback is timely.

Regards,

Bill

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:53 pm 
Bill now that I assume you have taken possession and used your boat any tips for a novice buying a Ute?
You can see my status in a few posts here in the last month all under Marcos989.
Appreciate any feedback.