Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cockpit size of MK1
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:13 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Anyone have the dimensions of the MK1 cockpit? Wondering how it compares to the Klepper SL490? I like the idea of a bigger cockpit, mainly for sailing potential.

D

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Post subject: Re: Cockpit size of MK1
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:25 am 
Site Admin

It's about the same size at the Klepper cockpit, if my memory serves me. The boat is roomier than the Klepper A-I, particularly with respect to legroom.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:19 am 
forum fanatic

The cockpit dimensions as determined by the coaming of the A-1 and the Mk-1 are identical. The difference is that the MK1 is 9" longer and all of that difference is in leg room. This was the primary reason why I sold my A-1 and bought a Mk-1. I am just shy of 6' tall and have a 33" inseam. Someone an inch or two shorter than me would be comfortable in either boat.

Bill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:25 pm 

Does anyone have the actual measurements?

I want to know if it's bigger than the cockpit of the Ute (which I have). I love the Ute but I'd like to actually be able to get up on my knees for fishing or sailing. Can't do it in the Ute, too tight and too tippy. Wondering if it might be possible in the MK1. Hoping to downsize just a bit from the AII for solo paddling - but keeping enough room for all the other 'fun' stuff.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:31 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Does anyone have the actual measurements?

I want to know if it's bigger than the cockpit of the Ute (which I have). I love the Ute but I'd like to actually be able to get up on my knees for fishing or sailing. Can't do it in the Ute, too tight and too tippy. Wondering if it might be possible in the MK1. Hoping to downsize just a bit from the AII for solo paddling - but keeping enough room for all the other 'fun' stuff.

Dennis

Forgive me if this is too far off-topic, and if I've missed the sense of your question ...

Would it work for you to acquire/construct an outrigger and ama which could be deployable on water for fishing?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:39 am 

Kenton, I already do that in a way. I use my paddle float on the end of my paddle if I need additional stability. I connect the paddle with the tie down straps on either side of the cockpit and the boat becomes a very stable platform (provided you don't forget which side to lean towards...). For common fishing trips it's not necessary though. The problem for me, and therefor my question about the size of the MK1 cockpit in relation to the Ute is that I can't move around at all in the Ute. Anything I want to access in the Ute needs to be between my legs and under my knees. I can't reach around behind the seat without tempting a capsize. Same goes for bow access.

I'm thinking the MK1 will be a more stable platform in itself, but if the cockpit is as small as the Ute, I'm not sure it will offer a substantial change in usage. I actually love the Ute and if I could lose thirty pounds it might work a little better for me... but I'm not really seeing that happen, In other words I want my cake and eat it too. Ha.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:52 pm 
faltbootemeister

DLee wrote:
Kenton, I already do that in a way. I use my paddle float on the end of my paddle if I need additional stability. I connect the paddle with the tie down straps on either side of the cockpit and the boat becomes a very stable platform (provided you don't forget which side to lean towards...). For common fishing trips it's not necessary though. The problem for me, and therefor my question about the size of the MK1 cockpit in relation to the Ute is that I can't move around at all in the Ute. Anything I want to access in the Ute needs to be between my legs and under my knees. I can't reach around behind the seat without tempting a capsize. Same goes for bow access.

I'm thinking the MK1 will be a more stable platform in itself, but if the cockpit is as small as the Ute, I'm not sure it will offer a substantial change in usage. I actually love the Ute and if I could lose thirty pounds it might work a little better for me... but I'm not really seeing that happen, In other words I want my cake and eat it too. Ha.

d

Forgive my previous assumption -

From your description, it seems you need something much more open - something closer to a platform.

Perhaps before doing anything drastic, see if something like this would be serviceable in these instances.

It won't correct the situation, but it might assist with near term coping. Sort of a low-rent stop-gap.

And No, I have no experience with it - I've only seen them on the Web.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:19 am 

Kenton, very very interesting. Hadn't seen anything like that before - thanks, something like this could come in handy. I'll let you know if I try them out.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:05 am 
faltbootemeister

As the folders in question do not have bulkheads, how can there be a difference in legroom between the models? This type of statement, that the MK1 has more legroom than the AE1 has always puzzled me, but I've never seen a Longhaul kayak "in the wild".

I've never had any problem with legroom in my T9 (basically a sponsonless AE1 for those not familiar with the model), and I'm 6' 2" with a 34" inseam.

Thanks,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:26 am 
forum fanatic

Barry,

The leg room issue for me has to do with the distance from the seat to rib #3. In my AE1 the rib was located smack dab where my achilles tendon rested on it. With the Mk1 my feet are behind rib #3 and that is much better. If you don't have the foot/rib interface problem, then this is a non-issue for you.

Bill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 9:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

OK, I see what you mean. Yes, sometimes that rib bugs me a little too, but then I just drape my PFD over it and problem solved.

Thanks for explaining this to me.

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65