Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Performance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 9:41 am 
faltbootemeister

What should I expect about the speed performance of the LH MK 2? If I'm used to 4+ mph steady paddling with my wife in our Advanced Elements tandem will we be faster or slower all other things being equal?

Also if the longest paddling outing last season was 4 hours, is the LH MK 2 kayak overkill? Lastly, using the AEC (above) I found my butt to be aching after 3.5 hours and since I had no real foot rest my legs were stretched out straight, causing some discomfort. Are the Comfort seats in the LH able to make you more comfortable for much longer?

What do you like most about this LH kayak or other similar Kayak?

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

Post subject: Re: Performance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

There is no such thing as overkill in quality and ruggedness, imo. The build quality of Long Hauls and Kleppers are similar, and they are both built to last generations. Sure, they are expedition capable, but I don't think many see more use than your 4-hour paddles.

But there is something else you should consider. The LH Mark 2 is 518cm in length, its "sister" Klepper the A2 was 520cm. I say "was" because Klepper no longer makes the 520, they now make only a 545 in the double configuration. Those extra cm make all the difference for the rear paddler for anyone over about 5'9", in my estimation. I am 6'2" and feel very cramped in the A2, and I fit perfectly in the 545.

Yet another set of variable to consider!

Happy New Year,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

Post subject: Re: Performance
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:11 pm 
forum fanatic

Your cruising speed should not vary much. If you properly anchor your feet and use your legs, however, you will be happier, more efficient, and more comfortable no matter what boat you are paddling. Your feet should be solidly anchored, knees slightly bent, and you should be pressing down on your foot on the opposite side to your hand during the power stroke. So as your right hand is engaged in the power stroke your left foot should be pushing down on your foot brace or peddle and vice versa. You will be amazed at how much this technique aids your comfort and efficiency. In my opinion, proper technique is more important than equipment. In this case using your legs will be more of a factor than the LH Comfort Seat, as good as it is. Using top level equipment is no substitute for working toward better form and technique. Using both together is beyond compare. Kayaking is as much mental as physical and developing and maintaining good form is a quest for consistency that is never ending. We all get tired, lose concentration, get sloppy and so on. So think of this aspect of kayaking as the never ending challenge that keeps us motivated and rewarded. It is the personal quest for perfection.