Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

This may be a bit odd but do any of you MK1 or particularly MK2 drivers have an underwater picture of the look and shape of the hull while in the water? I took one of our Advance Elements Convertible and was surprised by all the hull wrinkles where the hull meets the waterline and fabric. This kayak hull/deck meet just above the waterline unlike the MK2 which is higher. I am wondering what the flat keel makes the hull look like in the water. The inflatable had a slight "V" shape with the Backbone in place. BTW, when trying to get inside the kayak is the flat bottom less tippy?

I guess this picture request applies to Klepper kayaks too.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

You'll probably have your boat before I get around to taking an underwater picture for you Frank - but I can say that there are no surprises like wrinkles or anything like that when the boat is in the water. The hull looks exactly the same as it does above the water. I've snorkeled from my boat quite a bit and have never been surprised or even intrigued really on how the hull looks underwater.

I think the wide beam and air sponsons is what really makes getting into the boat easier, the flat bottom certainly doesn't hurt. This boat is pretty easy to get back into and very stable once inside. If you're anything like me you'll find yourself standing in the boat, climbing out onto the decks, etc. to test stability of the boat and your own balance. It's really a lot of fun. You're going to love it.

This is probably a good time to start rounding up some of the safety gear you'll want to have on board when the boat arrives. Get it ahead of time so that when the boat shows up you won't need to think about getting this stuff together - just grab your safety bag and go.

Dennis

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:20 am 
faltbootemeister

Well that leads me to another question: What do you think is a must in your safety bag?

We use quality PFD's at all times on the water.
Bilge pump & sponges
A Whistle each
Paddle leash
Repair kit (very simple)
Double action pump (for inflatable last year)
I have several apps on my cell phone, compass w/GPS, speedometer etc...
Sunscreen & water

Suggestions please.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:26 am 
faltbootemeister

Nice looking kayak Dennis. Ours will be about the same color with a yellow spray deck.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:26 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

How about a spare paddle? Emergency strobe or at least those mini navigation lights if you think there's a chance of getting stuck out after dusk? Thin highbreaking strain cord as a tow rope with shock cord and carabiner on one end just in case?

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:08 pm 
faltbootemeister

The spare paddle is why I bring my wife along.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 9:43 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
This may be a bit odd but do any of you MK1 or particularly MK2 drivers have an underwater picture of the look and shape of the hull while in the water? I took one of our Advance Elements Convertible and was surprised by all the hull wrinkles where the hull meets the waterline and fabric. This kayak hull/deck meet just above the waterline unlike the MK2 which is higher. I am wondering what the flat keel makes the hull look like in the water. The inflatable had a slight "V" shape with the Backbone in place. BTW, when trying to get inside the kayak is the flat bottom less tippy?

I guess this picture request applies to Klepper kayaks too.

Once you inflate the sponsons, no wrinkles, under the waterline, or above the waterline.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:30 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thats good to know because Im sure any wrinkles would decrease your efficiency and speed in the water. While watching your boat on the water there seemed to be a smothe almost effortless glide on the water. Mine will be blue and yellow. Thanks for taking the time to film and edit.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2013 11:51 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
Thats good to know because Im sure any wrinkles would decrease your efficiency and speed in the water. While watching your boat on the water there seemed to be a smothe almost effortless glide on the water. Mine will be blue and yellow. Thanks for taking the time to film and edit.

It is a good choice for a folding boat. Nice color choice. Please, post some pix when you get it.

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy