Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 10:47 pm 
faltbootemeister

The short Readers Digest version is: I took my time assembling the boat yesterday at our favorite lake a few miles away from our home. Actually 1 hour (like I said, I was in no hurry). My wife was of little help. Everything went together pretty easily and one of the things I love about this kayak is how simple it goes together. It is a heavy beast and yet it not only is beautiful but we paddled it easily at the same speed as we paddled our Advanced Elements Convertible (3.9 MPH) a week ago. That speed was reached with a lot more work in the AEC. The glide was better also. I was able to easily paddle at 3.4 MPH without my wife's help. The rudder works very well for course corrections due to wind and in some places the lake inlet current. I believe as our paddling muscles return to their pre winter better condition, our speed will top 4 MPH. I'm no speed demon nor do I want to be but I don't want to plow through the water at 2 MPH either.

Shortly after our initial launch we noticed it was felt more tippy and wondered if it was due to being more roomy than the AEC which is pretty flat and there is a double chine on the MK2. We returned to the dock to remove a seat cushion riser for my wife that placed her a bit higher up on the comfort seat. However, she used an REI camp seat (half as high) because she prefers a higher back rest than the comfort seat (about 3 inches). After about 3 hours we felt more secure. I decided not to go out with the 1.6 M Kayaksailor since there was very little wind and we were not familiar with the MK2. I did have some trouble catching a finger tip on my right hand on the coaming once in a while.

The overall feeling of pride in ownership of such nice kayak was great and the day was beautiful. Clear sky's and 74 degrees. To borrow a line by Johnny Depp "It's such a pretty boat".

Disasembly took 30 minutes and my wife did help put some of the wood parts away. I look forward to getting out again to try out the Kayaksailor.

Good paddling all.

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 7:02 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Frank,

Sounds like a great first paddle. And there is nothing too shabby about 3.9 mph, you must have a strong paddling partner.
Enjoy your new kayak and let us know how you do with your first sail.

Greg

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

Good job! Enjoy...:)

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 5:49 pm 
faltbootemeister

anybody know if the tippy feeling is a boat characteristic or because we are used to another boat?

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:07 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Probably just a matter of getting used to the boat Frank. I put mine in the other day and was reminded it was a little tippier than I thought when I stood up in it. Almost lost it at one point... I was going to try some stand up casting but the water was just a weee bit too cold to try that yet. Ha. You might sit a little higher in the MKII than you did in your AEC. If you lean her over though you will probably be surprised how far you would need to go before she went over.

I think I averaged about 2.9 knots paddling solo in near perfect windless conditions between my two GP paddles. I think my top speed was 4.4kt which was a surprise as it was higher than what I'd gotten with either the Ute or the T9 while out recently (although not as perfect condition).

Hope to get the KS out tomorrow for a little shakedown cruise. Going to a fishing tourny this weekend with the AII and hope to get some sailing in with the fishing.

I have a feeling I will be a lone SOF warrior out there among a sea of plastic SOTs. Ha.

Keep the notes coming Frank. Good to hear you're out there!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 3:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

I wanted to add one more thing about customer service from Long Haul. After I ordered my boat, I spoke to Mark and he mentioned I would be better off getting fiberglass rods rather than Ash rods because they are lighter and stronger. I decided I would go with the fiberglass. Several days later I received a call from them that said the added cost of the fiberglass rods was $5 each, a total of $40. I placed a check in an envelope and thought my wife sent it. She had forgotten to include it in the mail.

When I did get my boat the other day, I found that the bow deck bar was not correctly cut. (the bracket that fits into the bow piece was not quite in the right place). I went to the hardware store and had 2 new holes drilled into the deck bar and moved the steel fitting. I called Mark and told him of the problem. That day, and it was near 5 PM for him, he put another deck bar in the mail at no charge. I now have 2 bow deck bars. Hallelujah! Now back to the fiberglass rods:

When I realized the check for the fiberglass rods was still here instead of in Colorado, I called Mark and told him I could put it on a credit card. Mark said to keep the money as it was his mistake with the deck bar.

Every company makes a mistake once in a while. I own a business so I know that is true. The true measure of any company is what they do for you when a mistake is made. Second, that they don't make a lot of mistakes.

Thanks Mark for a great product and great customer service.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 4:40 pm 
forum fanatic

Congratulations on your new MK2? I believe our boats feel a bit tippy (initial stability, final stability is quite good) when there is no cargo in them. My Klepper AE1 was perhaps a bit more tippy than my MK1, but the problem goes away with a bit of weight placed down low. A couple of my friends carry a collapsible water jug, fill it at waters edge and place it behind the seat. I just make a mental adjustment unless it is really rough.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 7:45 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing about customer service from Long Haul. After I ordered my boat, I spoke to Mark and he mentioned I would be better off getting fiberglass rods rather than Ash rods because they are lighter and stronger. I decided I would go with the fiberglass. Several days later I received a call from them that said the added cost of the fiberglass rods was $5 each, a total of $40. I placed a check in an envelope and thought my wife sent it. She had forgotten to include it in the mail.

When I did get my boat the other day, I found that the bow deck bar was not correctly cut. (the bracket that fits into the bow piece was not quite in the right place). I went to the hardware store and had 2 new holes drilled into the deck bar and moved the steel fitting. I called Mark and told him of the problem. That day, and it was near 5 PM for him, he put another deck bar in the mail at no charge. I now have 2 bow deck bars. Hallelujah! Now back to the fiberglass rods:

When I realized the check for the fiberglass rods was still here instead of in Colorado, I called Mark and told him I could put it on a credit card. Mark said to keep the money as it was his mistake with the deck bar.

Every company makes a mistake once in a while. I own a business so I know that is true. The true measure of any company is what they do for you when a mistake is made. Second, that they don't make a lot of mistakes.

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2013 8:03 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:

I never met Mark, but both, Mark and Tammy are wonderful people. It is a real pleasure to deal with him and I'd give business to Long Haul over any other assembly line manufacturer.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 2:57 pm 
forum fanatic

I would like to chime in agreement on the superior service provided by Mark and Tammy.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 8:07 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

They've got my vote!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

My wife and I took our MK2 out for the second time (father in law died 5-4 and being the executor I have been busy. I own a business too and to complete the trifecta, the weather has been lousy). However, we put on the Kayaksailor & Genoa and sailed all over the lake. Our top speed on a broad reach was 7.2 mph and a close haul of 6.3 mph. The wind was variable at 5-8 mph according to the weather. We had so much fun tacking and jibing all over the lake.
Thanks to Mark and his team in CO and Patti & Dave of Kuvia in OR for two great products. Both with great customer service.
Interestingly, we paddled more after lowering the sail and the GPS showed 4.5 mph. We also didn't feel the tippy feeling we did the first time. My wife who was scared of the tippy feeling the first time wad heard to say "we're going to have so much fun this year".
We are hoping for no rain either Monday or Tuesday as we are at the Mississippi River hoping to paddle some back wster areas and see some Bald Eagles.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:02 pm 
faltbootemeister

http://vimeo.com/67066970 light wind. The MK2 makes a great sailing platform. Can't wait for better wind next time. A little better weather would help too

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 2:18 pm 
faltbootemeister

Cool! Looking for more clips of your boat.