It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 1:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:53 am 
faltbootemeister

Happy Holidays, y'all!

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:26 pm 
forum fanatic

Welcome to Florida. Your video is very well done, paddling down here looks just like that. One thing I would strongly suggest that you consider during your return voyage is this: We who live here and paddle these waters all the time, try our darndest to not touch tree limbs, branches, or fallen logs such as you encountered during your trips. I know it is not always possible to avoid touching things, especially in tight places, but it is a wise person who avoids using their hands on anything except their paddle. You see there are occasionally going to be native species hiding in and among those branches. A water moccasin is almost invisible sitting on a branch, but they will leave you alone if you don't get too close. Touching one, however, or even putting your hand near them can trigger a defensive strike. Spiders are another potential source of peril. In short keep your hands in the boat or on your paddle. And of course keep your eyes peeled. Gators are much easier to spot and avoid. Over the years we have had three separate incidents involving snake and spider bites among our group. We also had a less than friendly encounter with a monitor lizard one time, but luckily no harm came of that, although it was a close thing. As you know when you are deep in the Everglades help is not just around the corner. Take care and have fun.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hi,

Thank you very much for the sound advice. This will be our fifth trip deep in the Everglades. Hopefully, it will end with another smile...:)

We'll take care. Beyond that, what's meant to happen, will happen...

Happy Holidays and A Happy New Year to you and your loved ones!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:14 pm 
forum fanatic

Oh, I forgot to ask, how did you manage to put a hole in an aluminum canoe? No whitewater in the Everglades that I know of.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

bstevenson wrote:
Oh, I forgot to ask, how did you manage to put a hole in an aluminum canoe? No whitewater in the Everglades that I know of.

It is easier than you imagine..:) Empty canoe on the beach for less than a minute, a sudden gust and the incredible happened... the canoe was lifted in the air and started to spin some 4-5 feet above the ground carried by the wind... I was giving chase closely..:) it landed hard on tree stump on the beach and the aluminum cracked from the shock... below the water line, of course.. :)

We patched it with plastic and tape and continued our trip. The canoe was totaled upon return and we had to pay the owner the fair amount. No harm, everybody was happy in the end... :)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:58 pm 
forum fanatic

I can picture it happening only with my luck if it happened to me, I would be crowned by the spinning canoe and need to be medivaced out of there. You were @%&$ lucky that the only loss was the boat. Quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:57 pm 
faltbootemeister

bstevenson wrote:
I can picture it happening only with my luck if it happened to me, I would be crowned by the spinning canoe and need to be medivaced out of there. You were @%&$ lucky that the only loss was the boat. Quite an adventure. Thanks for sharing.

You can patch yourself with crazy glue and duct tape. You'd be amazed how well crazy glue works on ruptured skin. And duct tape can make you as good as new in the bush... :) we try not to rely on outside help. If we got in it up to our necks and if it hits the fan, we must get out of it on our own... :) it is, after all, our fault and our responsibility.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:55 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Doi,

Please share your itinerary for the trip. The Everglades and Keys are so special to many of us, and I would love to travel vicariously through your plan. Have you considered the back country Keys?

Looking forward to another fine video,

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:43 pm 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
Doi,

Please share your itinerary for the trip. The Everglades and Keys are so special to many of us, and I would love to travel vicariously through your plan. Have you considered the back country Keys?

g

Will do.

Thank you.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:28 pm 
faltbootemeister

gbellware wrote:
Doi,

g

Hi,

We kept this trip pretty simple...

New York - Everglades City (on wheels) Everglades City - Picnic Key - Pavilion Key - Highland Beach - Graveyard Creek - Northwest Cape - Clubhouse Beach - Flamingo (on water) Flamingo - Key West - Miami - New York (on wheels)

The video is half way through... working on it as I write these very words... :)

Cheers,

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:44 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Doi,

Glad you guys made this trip, you have inspired me to get back down there this Spring. Can't wait for the video.

Best,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 9:24 am 
faltbootemeister

Grab the popcorn..:)

https://vimeo.com/86177007

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:27 pm 
faltbootemeister

I watched your new video. You put in some very artsy shots. The parts I enjoyed most were the on the water frames of your U-boat fully packed, sailing along at speed. I wish there was even more on the water footage. Our stretch MK2 is getting an upgrade for this year with a BSD 36 Batwing Sport in medium Blue w/dark Blue. Can't wait!

Advanced Elements Convertible
2015 Windrider 17 white w/white & black sails

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 1:56 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Thanks Doi. I was looking forward to your video and it did not disappoint. You have a great eye and you have captured perfectly the tranquility and serene beauty of the Everglades. And you guys make such charming hosts for this wonderful piece. Great creativity with camera setups! Thanks for taking the time to make this and for sharing it. This is a "real" reality piece.

Now, add a shark attack and a narrow escape from a gila monster and a few gators in your tent and you might make it to the Discovery Channel. But I like just the way it is.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:51 pm 
faltbootemeister

FrankP wrote:
I watched your new video. You put in some very artsy shots. The parts I enjoyed most were the on the water frames of your U-boat fully packed, sailing along at speed. I wish there was even more on the water footage. Our stretch MK2 is getting an upgrade for this year with a BSD 36 Batwing Sport in medium Blue w/dark Blue. Can't wait!

Good choice. Can't wait to see your first images with the sail.