Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Bluie East Two - 2014
PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 7:26 pm 
faltbootemeister

http://vimeo.com/111537516

"Bluie East Two - 2014" is a 151 minute long video diary filmed on our paddling journey on the magical east coast of Greenland.

Although you will continue to relax in the comfort of your favorite couch, this rather long video diary will bring you to each and every step of the endeavor, from the planning stage, to the post-scriptum. You'll be able to share the pain and the joy of the two nomads, their silly bad acting and the victories of solid team work.

This video diary is also a humble tribute to the Esprit de Corps, team work and, above all, to all the men and women in uniform.

Are you ready? Welcome aboard the "U-Boat", a Long Haul Mark II Commando tandem kayak!
Please, sing along, because the two nomads sure need a lot of help singing... :)

(completed and published on Veterans Day 2014)

http://vimeo.com/channels/travelotherapy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:13 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Another masterpiece! I loved it!

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:16 am 
faltbootemeister

I am happy you liked it. Thank you for watching it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:39 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

You have done it again, and your skills as video journalists and producers just keeps getting better. I thought it was amazing how you caught the subtle dream-like ambiance of that beautiful country. And I hope the Nomad's ACL is mended.

Thank you guys for making and sharing these wonderful accounts of your adventures. Have you shared these with Backcountry and Outdoors Magazines?

Most importantly...where to next?

Thanks again,
g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor
(sold) 1969 AEII, S2; Kahuna; '80s Klondike; 2005 Java

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 4:38 pm 
faltbootemeister

Thank you for watching and thank you for the kind thoughts.

We'll stay put this winter... Well, sort of... :)

The U-Boat will get a bit of rest while we'll test its distant cousin, a black expedition model KaBoat...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 am 

Seemed like this trip was a little tougher than many of the previous ones we've seen. I was on a driving trip to CA while you guys were on your journey. Many of the days were pretty memorable for me on my trip and it was fun to reflect on where I was and what I was doing while you guys were out on your expedition. Your trip, without surprise, was a little more interesting than mine... ha. I was looking forward to your experience on August 18 but that day seems to have gotten skipped over... perhaps because of the leg injury.

In terms of the video I enjoyed it quite a bit. I did make the mistake of beginning it at 11 PM. Not good. We get up at 6 on school mornings and try as I may I couldn't turn the video off until 1245 AM. My wife called out to me at one point "What are you doing?" 'I'm watching a video from some of the kayak people..., it's a little long...' "How long?" 'Two and a half hours...' "How the heck can you watch people paddling a boat for over two hours?" 'Uh... it's pretty interesting, I think you should watch.' "Come to bed..."

I am going to try and get her to watch it. But I may skip the intro before I give it to her. I enjoyed the intro because it's you guys and that just makes it entertaining... but if I were to be a bit critical I think the audio mix could have been dialed a little more towards the conversation rather than the background music. I found myself unable to distinguish your dialogue from the music several times. Headphones might have fixed that, but I wasn't getting up. This is a problem I have with TV all the time... so take that for what it's worth.

As far as the rest of the video it absolutely amazes me how much work you put into it. Setting up cameras before you do something, do the thing, breaking down, and doing it all over again... that's a whole lot of work. Especially after a long day of hammering into the wind. I am truly impressed by your dedication. I also found the little escapades around town at the end very interesting and almost wish I had seen more of that. To me, the urban elements are as strange and different as the frontiers you explore. I know you don't feel that way as a filmmakers of exploration and I get that. But I just wanted to let you know that I thought it was a totally worthwhile element to include and I thank you for that. I don't get out much.

Technically I think you move forward with every video and this one was no exception. There were some remote zooms that really caught me by surprise, and in hindsight I wish I had rewound and watched them again. I didn't think the bow camera was as good a quality as it had been in the past. Perhaps the rest of the video just got that much better. Anyway, these are just a handful of the technical things that crossed my mind as I watched and travelled along.

Thank you again for the journey. I learn many things from watching your videos and I really appreciate it.

Here's a question. Did you research and determine that the prevailing wind wouldn't allow sailing? Or was it just too much to include the sail rig in the trip?

Thanks again,

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 1:20 am 
faltbootemeister

1- The wind is unpredictable in that area and it shifts throughout the day. The sudden gusts can create surprises. Although, mostly in the winter, the Tasiilaq region is the worst area for the katabatic winds (piteraq)
2- The sailing rig would have increased the weight and bulk of an already far from easy logistics challenge.
3- Landing and putting in with akas and amas would have been a bit more demanding.

Adding all of the above, we reached the conclusion that the sail should remain at home.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:20 am 

Seems like a great decision on the sails. I had to look up katabatic winds, interesting, I think I will add it to my collection of Klepper sailing terms as a 'katabatic capsize.' Perhaps not entirely accurate as the hills around my lake aren't that great... but it is quite gusty down there... and it sounds great.

The logistics you encountered would have had me pulling my hair out on a good day. The trials with the boats and drop off points and your guide not showing up... I applaud you keeping your cool. Coming from CA these things might not have bothered me so much years ago, but after twenty years in NY my expectation of things 'getting done' has changed considerably. Which, in a very round about way, reminds me of the many poignant quotes you used during the video. Another aspect that I enjoyed quite a bit.

Thanks again, a little disappointed the U-boat won't be going out this winter... looked up the Kaboat, interesting.

Later,

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2014 11:35 am 
faltbootemeister

We had no guide, he was the local contact person who provided boat transfers and location insertion. He is a great person and I have a log of admiration for him. He did hire another guy to provide transfers because he was already caught in some other operation. The problem was that this other guy and I never had a chance to communicate and I expected someone to meet us at the airport while the poor guy was patiently waiting for us at the dock... :) Then at the end another guy delivered the empty cases at the other dock... :)

Simple misunderstandings, no reason to be angry... :) They are very nice people and they all treat well the visitors.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 1:19 pm 
faltbootemeister

This is will be another winter spent away from the folded U-Boat. We really miss the fun we had paddling and sailing the U-Boat.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:42 am 
forum fanatic

Your videos are suberb! My wife and I really enjoy them. It is just like being there. If you ever put out a series in DVD we would love to purchase them for our library. Your work is as good as if not better than the majority of films from the National Film Board of Canada.
By any chance, are you in the educational field?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:52 am 
faltbootemeister

treecutter wrote:
Your videos are suberb! My wife and I really enjoy them. It is just like being there. If you ever put out a series in DVD we would love to purchase them for our library. Your work is as good as if not better than the majority of films from the National Film Board of Canada.
By any chance, are you in the educational field?

Thank you so much for the kind words. We love being together in nature and I love playing with the camera and images... :)

You can download any video you like for free. They were meant to encourage people to develop an appetite for nature.

Happy Holidays!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 3:17 pm 
faltbootemeister

Just watched your video Bluie East 2, what a great adventure! Thanks so much for taking the time and care to put together such a nice movie to document your trip.

When I was a kid I thought I'd travel the world, and although I've been to some pretty interesting places in my time, that was mostly back in the 1980s. Regardless of whether you have the time or desire to make more movies (must take a lot of time) I hope you have time to take many interesting adventures.

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

Last edited by BarryM on Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:13 pm 
faltbootemeister

BarryM wrote:
Just watched your video Blue East 2, what a great adventure! Thanks so much for taking the time and care to put together such a nice movie to document your trip.

When I was a kid I thought I'd travel the world, and although I've been to some pretty interesting places in my time, that was mostly back in the 1980s. Regardless of whether you have the time or desire to make more movies (must take a lot of time) I hope you have time to take many interesting adventures.

Cheers,

Barry

Thank you so much for the kind words, Barry and thank you for taking the time to watch it. I am very happy that you enjoyed it. I can't shake off the habit of carrying at least one camera wherever we go... :)

Right now I am in the middle of editing "Qivittoq - 2016", which is this summer's video diary. Yes, putting these silly videos together takes quite a bit of time, but you should know that it is very rewarding to know that at least one person out there enjoyed the fruit of your labor.

Hopefully, I'll be able to complete editing by the end of October. Although we paddled a hard shell, I'll post a link in the Coffee House section when it's done.

Cheers.