Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Finally, my new MK1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2015 11:59 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

It's taken years... but I finally pulled it off with a little help from Mark, I got my new Long Haul MK1 a few days ago and finally got a chance to get it out on the water today... I Love it!

Had it out on our lake this evening for a couple hours and it really paddles nicely. Seems faster than anything I've had to date and it handles really well. It seems to weather cock fairly easily but straightening her out doesn't seem to be a big issue. She's very responsive to a little lean with a turning stroke and seems to glide very nicely. I haven't tried the rudder yet and don't really see that I will need it unless I'm on open water with a looming chance of weather or sailing.

I got an expedition 'light' version and although I haven't weighed it yet Mark put it on the scale and came up with 66 lbs. That seems about right to me as it seems just a hair heavier than my T9. The 'light' version has a lighter rubber on the hull and aluminum clips and horseshoe connectors instead of the stainless steel. The clip pins are still stainless as well as the #4 center rib connectors which connect to the coaming. I have a full set of keel strips below as I'm a little tough on boats. The Expedition hull comes with the two oval deck hatches, heavy duty bow and stern construction and the all around life-line. Mark also sewed in aluminum clips directly under the mast stay D-rings which connect to the gunnel on the inside of the boat, giving the stays additional support. The stringers are black fiberglass tubing with stainless ferrels and look good. I believe the frame construction is a little bit lighter as well, especially in the gunnels. It's still not a carbon fiber boat... but it's definitely lighter. I can carry it around the yard without too much trouble, whereas I cannot carry the Aerius II... or don't try to any more. I'll weigh the boat when she's dry and report back.

The boat came in two boxes which contained the three standard packing bags. The bags are top class constructions, black, and have the new Long Haul logo on them. There's plenty room in each bag for the boat pieces. The backpack bag that carries the hull can easily accommodate the rib bag, hull, expedition spray cover and skirt. I'm guessing there's still enough room in there to include my Life Jacket, paddle float, pump and bow and stern air bags.

All the rib pieces came wrapped in paper. The ends of the long pieces were wrapped and safely nestled in the included packing sleeve. I really didn't realize how top notch this whole package was going to be. It really is a work of art. All the wood has a thick finish of varnish on it and every piece glows. It's beautiful. I remember thinking it was a shame to have to slide the frame into the hull it looked so nice. The boat comes with an instruction booklet, CD, safety whistle and a few extra clip pins in a custom bag. There's also a cool LHFK bumper sticker for your car in the zip-loc bag that holds all this stuff.

A little more coming...

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

Last edited by DLee on Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Finally, my new MK1
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 12:04 am 

Mark and I were talking one day about how hard it is to sell boats when people can't really see them. One thing led to another and he offered me this burgundy MK1 at a bit of a price break if I offered to show it off to anyone that's interested in coming to see it. The boat had all the specs I'd been planning with Mark, only the color was a given. Frankly I was having a hard time deciding on the color anyway, so this was a bit of a no brainer... and the burgundy looks great. I am having a hard time recreating the color in pictures though. So if you are in the market for a Long Haul MK1 and are willing to travel to the New York area to see a boat, give me a call. Living at a nice lake makes taking a test drive pretty easy as well.

I've also purchase a 36 HP BSD sail rig through Mark which is on it's way. I wasn't real keen on drilling holes through my new coaming so Mark has created a mounting board to hold the BSD outrigger system onto the coaming with four web bolts (J-bolts). We're thinking this mount will work on the AII as well. Mark designed the board to work with a couple mounting blocks to raise the outrigger about 1.5 inches (I think) above the board for a little more water clearance. As many of you know I'm not a huge fan of outriggers... but I get tired of bailing as well. We'll give it all a try. I did pay full price for the BSD rig in case anyone is wondering. I can't wait to try that sail without the outriggers... I promise to have the GoPro rolling... it will most likely be a short sail but you never know.

I'm also excited to give the BSD sail a good run for it's money against the Klepper S4 rig, all else being equal. I'm looking forward to that test and I will use the outriggers (most likely) to eek out every bit of speed the sails can muster.

Anyway, pretty excited about the new boat. Did I mention it's seriously stable? A serious change from the old T9. I'm really looking forward to having this boat out in some open water. I didn't do anything crazy today because I had my phone with me to make these pictures. But I think, it's going to be pretty easy to get up, turn around and generally do work on this boat... I will be trying it, so stay tuned.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:11 am 
knight of the folding kayak realm

That's quite a fleet you're developing there, Dennis. I look forward to hearing more comparisons between the various boats and sail rigs. Great stuff!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:38 am 

The boat looks great! Looking forward to your comments and additional thoughts on the kayak and BSD rig.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:44 pm 

Dennis,
Congratulations! Your set-up looks very interesting.
I fully agree with Mark on the need to show quality folders to the interested public.
I find, at least here in the Bay Area, that most kayakers have seen al kinds of plastic/fiberglass kayaks, but have only heard of most folders.

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:38 pm 

Thanks guys.

Chris, my GP paddle was in the car when my wife took off (we're down to one car at the moment and it stinks!), so always wanting a spare paddle along I opted to take the canoe paddle thinking it might be interesting to try out. I also wanted to see if it would remain back there and whether I could easily get to it. Turns out I never attempted either as I enjoyed the Camano paddling more than I expected. The yellow thing on top of the paddle is the paddle float which is connected to the bow with 30' of yellow poly line that is seen looping around in the water as it was holding the boat to the dock. I'm not sure I would need the paddle float except in the roughest of waters with this boat. But it's good to have along and it doubles as a bag for my pump and I often put a snorkel, mask and fins in it as well. I've never had deck bungees before... I like them. Now I just have to keep from becoming a Beverly Hillbillies scene on the water.

Yeah I love Mark's boats and took one of his canoes up to the WCHA annual gathering a couple years ago to show it off and have some fun with it. I'd love to see folding boats grow in popularity again. I see the gatherings in Germany and elsewhere and feel very envious, wish we had that here. I'm happy to do my share of showing off boats if that helps the cause. I was reminded today while cleaning the boat that Mark's boats and most of our folders are completely hand made. I love that. It's refreshing to see this high standard of workmanship achieved by American's. Long live the artists and the passionate people who continue to do amazing work like this.

d

Klepper S4 sail rig
Kayaksailor 1.6 +genoa
BSD 36HP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:08 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Great looking boat Dennis, glad to see you closed the deal. And I agree about LHFK, they are now the front runner in hand crafted folders. I recently picked up a spray skirt for my A-1 from Mark and the design and crafting are first rate. I look forward to your sharing your experience with your new baby!

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 8:07 am 

What wonderfull boats anyone considering a wayland should really pay the differance and get the best, they will provide many more years of service.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2015 7:09 pm 
Site Admin

I have to agree with John. There's nothing else on the market now in a classic wood-framed boat that's comparable to Long Haul in quality.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm 
faltbootemeister

Hey Dennis,

I'm late to the party, but congrats on that sweet Mark 1! It is a beautiful kayak, plus probably easier to sail that your T9.

Just let me know if you want to shift that T9 to make room! ;)

Cheers,

Barry

Klepper T9 / Heise Skin
Pionier 520-Z / Heise Skin
Pouch E65

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:57 pm 

I looked at a new Nautiraid at Chesapeake Light Craft's "Okoumefest" this past April, and it had beautiful workmanship. Nautiraid has a new and vary solid distributor in the US, now, in the form of CLC.

Non-folding: '84 Hobie 16; early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift.