Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:45 pm 
forum fan

This boats is on sale for $1100. Is this a good price. The ad does not list its age, the pictures make it look good.
Any thoughts on the strengths and weaknesses of this boat?
https://cincinnati.craigslist.org/boa/d ... 54590.html.

Thanks,
Fritz

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:49 pm 
Site Admin

It looks pretty clean to me, and the price is fair. If you decided to buy it, inspect the wood carefully for rot and cracks, as Natutiraids frames aren't always made to the same quality as Long Hauls and German-made Kleppers. The hulls, on the other hand, are of a quality as good or better than any other make on every Nautiraid I've examined.

I've paddled that particular model, and while it doesn't have the lateral stability of some longer boats, it's fast and easily turned. One friend new to kayaking bought one and had trouble keeping it in a straight line; I tried it and had no problem, so I bought it from him when he decided to buy a Feathercraft Kahuna. It's really more a matter of paddler skill than boat tracking, as I had the same problem with my Aerius I when I was new to kayaking.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:50 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I have a Nautiraid 14 I picked up last year. Most comfortable kayak I have ever paddled. Frame has some wood issues that I repaired. The rudder system is worse than useless. Thankfully, a rudder is not needed. This is a favorite kayak

Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 1:32 pm 
forum fan

Thanks all for your comments. As it turns out, after examining my bank account and considering some other factors, I've decided not to buy this boat, tempting as it is. I'm currently leaning toward a Pak Boat Puffin Saranac Kayak (15.5 ft.) for its ability to be a solo covered kayak or a tandem uncovered kayak. This will give me the option of paddling solo or including my wife. The price is good and Pak Boats have a great reputation, from what I can glean on this and other paddling forums.

I'll make the purchase next spring, I think, after I get paid for a consulting contract that will supplement my retirement income.