Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 12:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Narak 405 cross
PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:30 am 
forum fan

Has anyone here paddled one of these? Impressions?

Post subject: Re: Narak 405 cross
PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:01 pm 
forum fanatic

Actually I paddled one (no rudder) about a week ago. Very light weight, seemed quick. It will turn very quickly. Even though I am not sure it has any rocker, it seemed to want to turn. this is a definite advantage if you are floating a river, but I am usually in more open water. I think it would benefit from conventional adjustable footpegs, or a simple clamp on footpeg (to internal longeron), rather than the even lighter current setup. This would allow you to place a little pressure on one side of the kayak or the other to counter the energy of the paddlestroke. At least that has been my experience in paddling other kayaks with lots of rocker and trying to paddle them consistently straight.

Very high quality, super easy setup, light weight. I wish it were available as a double :)

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Citibot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:39 pm 
forum fan

HoosierPaddler wrote:
Actually I paddled one (no rudder) about a week ago. Very light weight, seemed quick. It will turn very quickly. Even though I am not sure it has any rocker, it seemed to want to turn. this is a definite advantage if you are floating a river, but I am usually in more open water. I think it would benefit from conventional adjustable footpegs, or a simple clamp on footpeg (to internal longeron), rather than the even lighter current setup. This would allow you to place a little pressure on one side of the kayak or the other to counter the energy of the paddlestroke. At least that has been my experience in paddling other kayaks with lots of rocker and trying to paddle them consistently straight.

Very high quality, super easy setup, light weight. I wish it were available as a double :)

HoosierPaddler
GIIx2, Kodiak, Edisto, Citibot

Cool, thanks!
I found a deal on a Grand Narak, so I purchased that instead. It just costs so much to import from the EU, and CLC Boats had the Narak available.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:20 am 
recent arrival

Just bought one! Seemed the perfect one for my need.

First assembling took me more then an hour :shock: Working in my bedroom did not make my life easier...
Super hi quality
Footpegs have to be improved, this solution is not really working for me.
I’ve some doubts also about the seat, it seems too squeaky/unconfortable. Need to spend some time on a proper setup.

First test next week.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:31 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Let us know how the testing goes. Can't wait to see the photos!

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:49 am 
forum fanatic

Most if not all the internal assemblies are organized (connected) into sub assemblies. If I remember, that does include the seat and the foot pegs. Nautiraid has some assembly videos. If you comment on those, if there is a particular step that needs a more in depth video or explanation, I'm sure Guillaume would work on that.

I'm used to Folbot seat, and foot pegs. Most Folbot seats just velcro to lower longerons and attaches to a seat strap running between the left and right combing pieces. Later AirFoam seat used push-on clips to longerons as well as straps for adjustment. I prefer the earlier seats and I just use other self inflating seats, or thick foam hunting seats to create a comfortable seat. The Nautiraid seat and foot pegs are connected to various straps that allow for a lot of adjustment.

Its now been about a year since I paddled the Narak 405 and 460. Each seat seamed very comfortable. I look forward to hearing more about your first trip.

Hoosier Paddler
GIIx2, Kodiak x2, Edisto, and Citibot

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:34 am 
recent arrival

Ok, first test done.

What I liked:
Very confortable, I was wrong.
Footpegs are not that bad, but can be improved, I'm pretty sure I'll find the perfect position. Setup is part of this game after all.

What I didn't like:
The Narak is always pointing to right. I hope the stabilizers were not equally inflated, I plan to buy a manometer for my pump (and check the needed psi...).
The guy in the Nautiraid pictures is probably stronger than me... Very difficult to lift and transport (I've a 5 minutes walk to reach the lake with a long stairway).
It's probably too wide for me. I often hit the hull while paddling.

In water it's quite difficult for a beginner. I expected more stability, but again hopefully I need more practice.

Well, time for a second test, this one was not enough.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 6:57 am 
forum fanatic

Thanks for the update.

As far as the tendency for the turning. I have noticed when I feel that in one of my Folbots it is one of a few things. The assembly has a slight twist within the skin. What I mean by this is that folding kayaks have lots of connections, and one or more isn't quite set or aligned properly. I have actually taken the kayak and with a another paddler, rocked and twisted in the opposite direction to get it corrected. Another thought might be that this behavior is related to weight distribution. Maybe you aren't evenly seated (side to side). I was think there were several connections related to getting the seat all set within the kayak's hull. Maybe some adjustment still needs to be made with the seat?

I don't remember how much the 405 weighed. We just assembled them and probably walked only 50 meters to get onto a canal. My Folbots are between 42 and 65 lbs but I try to be within a few steps of the water whenever possible. I'm sure you will get used to it.