Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:49 pm 
faltbootemeister

Just got a used Greenlander. It's 20 or 30 years old and very narrow. What kind of seat do I use. I've just got a bare boat. No back rest and no pad. Were there ones with the boats new?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 4:19 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Get a basic kidney shaped closed cell foam whitewater style seat pad and sit directly on the hull, just far back enough so that you're not sitting on top of the lever tensioner. The foam pad should be thick enough to stop your pelvic bones from banging on the keel, but no more. 1/2 inch is fine for me. E.g. http://www.nrs.com/product/2048/padz-kayak-seat-pad

This is the solution I now use in my Narak and it's comfortable and stable in any weather. Putting a rigid seat base in raises your centre of gravity making the kayak (much) less stable and less comfortable, but easier to edge.
Any after market back band will do for the back rest, and you can attach it with straps to the frame. Best if it has a solid nylon belt core that the back band can slide along to allow good hip rotation for effective forward paddling. My favourite is by Snap Dragon http://capefalconkayak.com/snapband.jpg
You can drill out the holes in the nylon belt so they are big enough to loop a strap through.

Please take good care of your Greenlander for its next owner :-)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 6:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

Please take good care of your Greenlander for its next owner :-)
Thanks so much. will do. See other post.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2015 7:34 pm 
faltbootemeister

The weather is warmer and I just took my Greenlander out. Spent last week on the Florida coast with a Folbot Aleut. BIG difference. Last year this thing almost killed me. This year I'm ordering a spray skirt. Got to roll if you paddle something this narrow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2015 8:07 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Treewater,

I was wondering how you were doing with this skinny Greenlander! Rolling sounds like a plan, if you are able to brace yourself in the kayak, while at the same time allowing a wet exit if needed...

Chris O.

Pionier 450 S
Kette SE 54
Mariner Coaster
HSF Horst Hartung Slalom 50
P&H Hammer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2015 6:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

I sent the cockpit trace outline to Sealskirt. Hope it comes out right. I've already demonstrated a wet exit w/o skirt. I've been to Nantahala Outdoor Center for a class in white water that included such work. We'll see.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 11:53 pm 
faltbootemeister

I'm back after a few years hiatus, of posting that is not paddling.
That old narrow Nautiraid is my favorite day paddler. Light, fast, easy to assemble. Got the spray skirt but haven't had a spotter to practice rolling. Not for tripping but otherwise great kayak. Is there an equal?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 9:24 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

I'm afraid it's now totally outclassed by the new Narval Kitaa, such good value at only €1800 too, but not to worry, I'll take yours off your hands for a very modest sum :D

(Well you would insist on gloating!)

Pakboats Quest 135, Nautiraid Narak 460, 416 & K1 (sold my 550), First light 420, Feathercraft Wisper, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, Incept k40 (for sale)
Non-folders: Cape Falcon F1. Beth sailing canoe, 2014 Hobie Adventure Island

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

You're right, I had to gloat. But maybe I have reason. That Kitaa is longer and wider but is 0.8 Kg lighter. The longer length may make up for the wider boat on speed. We'll have to have a race.
Nautiraid: 501 cm long, 50.5 cm wide, 16.8 kg weight