Nautiraid Grand Raid II Expedition

Moderators: mje, krudave

Papsmagee

Nautiraid Grand Raid II Expedition

Post by Papsmagee »

I am 6'7", 260, and am therefore unable to fit comfortably into the cockpit on my Grand Raid spray deck. Also, I cannot come even close to fitting into the spray skirt that came with the boat. I get absolutely NO REPLY to my emails for help to Nautiraid, so I am trying to solve this myself.

Can anyone out there in "kayak land" send me information on a fabricator in the US that can build me a new spray deck with larger cockpit dimensions? This is the only way I can think of to solve this problem. My wife and I plan to paddle for a week in the San Juan Islands later this summer, and I'd feel my better about the trip if I could use a deck and skirt.

Thanks for any suggestions you can give me.

Bill

chrstjrn
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Re: Nautiraid Grand Raid II Expedition

Post by chrstjrn »

I think Pakboats might know someone who can do those sorts of jobs. You could look on their website for their number and give them a call and ask if they have a referral.
Chris T.
~'91 Klepper A2 w/ BSD schooner rig.
'64 Klepper Passat/Tradewind and T12 restoration projects.
Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

gbellware
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by gbellware »

First, I completely agree that a trip in the San Juans would be best with a spray skirt. That water is cold and the weather can change quickly. If Pakboats works that is great, I would also give Mark Eckhert at Longhaul a call, he is pretty knowledgable and might be of some help.

Best,
g
"There is nothing--absolutely nothing--half so much worth doing as simply messing around in boats"

Kleppers, A1 Expedition and carbon Quattro
Easy Riders, 18.6 and 17
Lots of BSD sails
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

siravingmon
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by siravingmon »

A large Feathercraft sprayskirt easily stretches to 35". I used one on my Narak, advertised as having a 36" cockpit, with an extra rope lip. At 36+" it was a little bit tight so should be perfect at 35". Extremely well made.
Simon

Feathercraft Wisper, Firstlight 420, Fujita Alpina AL-1 400, KXone Airrow 17, Nautiraid Geenlander 1, K1, 416, Narak 460 (sold my 550), Pakboats Quest 135, TRAK 2.0
Cape Falcon F1, Beth, Hobie AI
AE Air Fusion Evo wanted, Incept k40 for sale

ChrisO

Post by ChrisO »

Bill,

Have you tried Seda (Nautiraid's rep) in San Diego?
Am I correct that the spray cover is for a double?
I second Simon's suggestion to look into Feathercraft.

Chris O.

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Talk to Mark at Long Haul. He makes a lot of custom gear and mods. He made me a custom backpack for an inflatable I used to own.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Return to “Nautiraid”