What Boat do I have?

Moderators: mje, krudave

tmoobear
forum fan

What Boat do I have?

Post by tmoobear »

Hi All,
I bought an Nautiraid back in the middle 1990s and enjoyed a few expeditions in it before I mothballed it and stored it away. Now, in my sunset years I would like to get it up and running again but I need to make some repairs. But as a start, I would like to know what model I have, and, if possible, what year it was manufactured. I bought it through the now-defunct New York Kayak Company and it is olive drab and has an American flag decal on it. I think it is 16 feet 4 inches long. I used it as a single but it is convertible into a double. I don't have the original manual, and am not sure I ever even received one, but I did get an assembly video with it that covers a number of different expedition models. If anyone has any suggestions, I would be most appreciative.
Thanks,
Tom Hardy, St. Louis, Missouri

Paul
knight of the folding kayak realm

Re: What Boat do I have?

Post by Paul »

Hi and welcome. This sounds like a Nautiraid Raid II 500. This model is a double kayak that paddles well as a single. In the Complete Folding Kayaker, the author described this model as a jack of all trades because of its size and performance features. The coaming is lower than on the Grand Raid models. The '500' in the name is length in centimeters, and 500 cm = 16' 4".
LH Mark I
Nautiraid Grand Raid 540
SOF Greenland Kayak

tmoobear
forum fan

Re: What Boat do I have?

Post by tmoobear »

Hi Paul,
Thanks so much for your input! Yes, that sounds like my "girl" (very flexible)! I was able to contact Randy Hendriksen, the former owner of New York Kayak Company on Facebook. I originally bought the boat from him. He said he didn't have any records extending that far back.

In the Instructional video sent along with the boat, Randy assembles a Raid I and describes the minor differences in the Raid and the Microraid and another that I can't recall. I shouldn't have any trouble assembling it though, I hope. Got big plans to sail it from Leland, Michigan to South and North Manitou Islands, maybe in late August. I am a lot older now than when I did part of the Maine Island Trail (five or six days?} back in the nineties, so I hope I make up in smarts with what I've lost in muscle! I'll sail if for the first time as a double with my wife. Also, the instructional video that came with the RAid ll 500 says that I should have received an instruction manual with the boat. I don't ever recall seeing it. Do you know perhaps where I might buy or download a copy?

Again, thanks!
Tom

Return to “Nautiraid”