Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Klondike Questions
PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:06 pm 
Hello All,

Firstly, I should introduce myself. I am a paddler of hardshell kayaks for over 10 years and recently purchased a FC Klondike. As I have had the boat for only a few weeks I have not had the opportunity to extensively test it; most of my paddling in it so far has been with my young son (4y) on flat water. I should say that I have been very impressed with it to date, especially its speed and maneuverability.

I do have a few questions that I will pose to the forum.

How tight should the sponsons be inflated? Is there a risk of the sponsons over-inflating and rupturing while paddling, especially in hot weather?

Also, should the webbing straps that holds the coaming in position be secured around the rebar and the gunwale bar or just the rebar? I found that with the sponsons inflated tightly the coaming started to bulge and that the flat bars on the rebar that hold the coaming down where nearly fully out of the coaming. I should note that I was paddling with the spray deck off, which, if on would have assisted in holding the coaming in position to some extent.

I am unsure if I have made myself clear. If not please let me know and I can take a few photos.

Lastly, let me say that this is a great forum and assisted greatly in my research for when I was deciding on what type of kayak I wanted.

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 12:42 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Greetings,

I am a relative newbie byself, but I think I can help with a couple of tips:

As long as you are inflating the sponsons orally there should be no issue with overinflation. And once you are on the water the temperature should not pose a threat as the water temp will moderate even a hot mid-day sun. That said, I think it is wise to let some air out or completely deflate if you beach your boat as the temp can rise quickly and there is no reason to stress the welded seams.

As for the combing, if when you say "rebar" you are referring to the bracing bar...yes, the webbing strap should go around both the gunnel rod and the bracing bar.

Have fun,

Best,
g

1988 A1 Expedition
2010 carbon Klepper Quattro
BSD sail rig, 24' mizzen + 36' main
39' jib
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:18 pm 
In your neck of the woods definitely let some air out of the sponsons when you stay on the beach for 40-50 minutes or longer. Not much - just to make them soft. I haven't heard of anybody blowing the FC sponsons up in hot sun, but may be this will happen with time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:53 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alm wrote:
In your neck of the woods definitely let some air out of the sponsons when you stay on the beach for 40-50 minutes or longer. Not much - just to make them soft. I haven't heard of anybody blowing the FC sponsons up in hot sun, but may be this will happen with time.

Good idea. I doubt if they would explode either, but with the sun beating down on the black hull and the pressure that would build in the blow tubes alone, over time it might deteriorate the sponson assembly. I avoid the hot sun as much as possible when parking my boat for any length of time just as a general rule.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150