Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:42 am 
lord high faltbotmeister

Alex,

I'd be interested to know those answers if you had a chance to make it by Granville Island sometime and posed those questions and concerns to them.

You have some legitimate questions there.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:44 pm 
Chris, I will gi there later this year to buy some parts (worn out plastic bow piece for Kahuna), and to show them how $0.25 partially threaded screw looks :-) ... (These problems were discussed earlier, and K1 is not immune to this too, as I've noticed). But with this pedal thing - my complaints are mostly from expeditioner's point of view. Day paddlers and weekend overnighters will love more foot support, I'm sure. Better pedals - more obstacles, this is a compromise.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 12:23 am 
kayakamper wrote:
Yeah, I am really on the fence about it for the reasons you mention Alex, but would like a different 'feel' down there.

mrm3759....I would be interested in your reaction to it once you have it installed.

Chris

Well I installed the new rudder pedal system this weekend. My initial impression is positive but to be honest I have not been on the water yet, just my front lawn. It almost seems like the bungee around the cross rib may not necessary. Feathercraft says it is to prevent the pedals from falling forward (I assume they mean towards the stern). This doesn't seem likely if you keep your foot on the pedals and there is a fair bit of friction. I may inquire further because the bungee seems like it would get in the way of loading the boat with a lot of gear.

Pros:
-It feel much better and more solid.
-They seem very easy to operate.
-They obviously don't rotate downwards towards the keel
-The pedals seem to rotate aft and forward (with some friction) to lay flat to facilitate loading.

Cons:
-Initial adjustment was a bit of a hassle because you have to trial and error the installation position because they have to be tightened down on the rail on each side by hand. If my legs were a little longer and my arms a bit shorter I might have had a hard time reach far enough aft to properly position them along the rails. The current system can easily be adjusted with your feat and hands while sitting in the cockpit. It took me 3-4 times to get the fit just right. But now that I have the desired position memorized it will be very easy the next time.

- The right pedal has the tendency to slide towards the center a bit. The left pedal does not. This is not nearly as obnoxious as the current pedals tendency to rotate towards the center.

If the next paddle goes well I may order one for the Kahuna as well.

I installed it before installing the #3 crossrib but it looks like you could you install it after if needed.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 1:02 am 
mrm3759 wrote:
It almost seems like the bungee around the cross rib may not necessary. Feathercraft says it is to prevent the pedals from falling forward (I assume they mean towards the stern).

Yeah, I figure they can only fall to the stern (without the bungee).

Quote:
I may inquire further because the bungee seems like it would get in the way of loading the boat with a lot of gear.

One definitive test would be to disconnect the bungee and see what happens. When I look at the photo - it could've been tied to the left and right gunwale tubes, rather than to the rib #2.

Quote:
The pedals seem to rotate aft and forward (with some friction) to lay flat to facilitate loading.

Aft - this I can understand (stretching the bungee). Can you lay both pedals flat forward without disconnecting the cables?

P.S: In the last (and first so far) multiday trip in a new K1 "old-style" pedals didn't rotate at all. I attribute this to the 30L drybag squeezed cross-wise between the rib #2 and end of the rail (it covered a few inches of the rail end). But small foot platform, oriented horizontally, still felt inadequate and annoying sometimes.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:31 am 
If you loosen (not disconnect) both rudder cables at the strap buckle the pedals rotate forward (towards bow) to lay flat (again with some friction). In my boat anyways the will lay both lay aft without loosening any cables because the added bungee has a fair bit of slack. Again the pedals rotate with a bit of friction making me question the need for the added bungee. Perhaps the friction relaxes over time? The instructions say to attach bungee between pedals, loop around rib #2 and loop back to the bottom corner of rib #3. When I do this there is plenty of slack with my pedal position.

To repeat the pedals feel great and respond easily. Once my car is back from the auto body shop I will take it out for a paddle.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 11:53 pm 
I also confirmed it can be installed after the #3 crossrib which is nice.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 2:39 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Did you install it on your K-1 or Kahuna. I have hesitated ordering this mod, because my K-1 foot rests don't sag like the Kahuna's did.

Chris

Wilderness Systems Cape Horn 150