Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:35 pm 
I am new to this post, but would anyone know if a slalom T65 would fit into to a slalom 55 skin?? I have a like new skin for a 55 but with only the ribs and seat (again they look new) I also have a complete frame for a T65, and a complete frame for a slalom 59, The skin/s for the T65 and the Slalom 59 are no good cracked and stiff.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 8:29 am 
You might want to contact Long Haul Kayaks. They list some older Klepper hulls on their website.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:06 pm 
That will never fit!
The Slalom 55 is an absolute nice low volume competition kayak with a length of only 415cm and a width of 62cm, while the T65 has with 450*66cm the same size like the normal FI-Singleseaters (though it is a whitewater-kayak with it´s rocker).
The frames of both kayaks are constructed and designed identically but all parts, even the coaming, are shrinked.

Best whishes
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:52 am 
Yesterday I made a little measering session with my kayaks and here are the results:

Klepper Slalom-Kayaks:

1:
T 6-Slalom
-late prewar years or a short time after the war
-425cm long
-60cm wide
-6 ribs made of 4mm birch-plywood rounded on the in- and outside with strips made of ash (like the famous T5 (1935), T6(1936-war) and of course the Olympia-racing-singles and doubles (both only with 3mm plywood and ash-strips only on the inside of the ribs))
-1 pair of stringers
-keelboard rails (in german we call it more beautyfull "Bodenleiter") without keelstringer
-standard coaming

2:
Slalom 48 (when it was introduced the boat was called T 6 Slalom. Later, when the Slalom 53 was available, it was called Slalom 48)
-1948-52
-430cm
-61cm
-6 ribs made of plywood
-1 pair of stringers
-keelboard rails with keelstringer only in the bow
-standard coaming
This boat has a strong relationship to the standard T6, it isn´t so speacialized like the later slaloms

3:
Slalom 53
-1953-54
-430cm
-64cm
-7 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-keelboard rails with keelstringer
-80*39cm coaming

4:
Slalom 55
-1955-58
-415cm
-62cm
-7 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-keelboard rails with keelstringers
-80*39cm coaming
This boat is the little brother of the T 65-WW-single.

5:
Slalom 58
-415cm
-62cm
-7 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-64*48cm coaming
The SL58 is nearly the same boat like the SL55. The coaming is much smaller and ends in front of the rib #4. That makes a wet exit very difficult and was the reason why the kayak went out of production in the same year.

6:
Slalom 59
-1959-early sixties
-435cm
-60cm
-8 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-75*46cm coaming
In my opinion the SL 59 has the most beautyfull frame ever built in over 100 years of folding boat-production.
The boat is with it´s tiny ribs an absolute extraordinary lightweight construction.

Klepper WW-Kayaks:

1:
T 65
-1955-57
-450cm
-66cm
-7 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-keelbord rails with keelstringer
-85*43cm coaming

2:
T 66
-450cm
-66cm
-7 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-86*50cm coaming (this big coaming is often called "toilet seat" in Germany because of it´s typical form)

3:
T 67
-1959(?)-early sixties
-450cm
-62cm
-8 ribs
-2 pairs of stringers
-81*48cm coaming
This boat is the great brother of the SL 59.

Last edited by Michael on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:13 am 
Thanks, Your correct the SL59 frame is nice, I wish I had more parts for the SL55 I only have the ribs, seats, and cockpit cooming, and the skin is like new. and thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:56 pm 
Maybe I can help you.
But I have to search, I´m sure that I have some SL 55 spareparts (I´m afraid that one of the gunwhales is a little bit damaged.).
Though the wooden frame isn´t as nice as the one of the Slalom 59, my SL 55 is my absolute favourite folding kayak.

Cheers
Michael

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:03 pm 
That would be great, like I said I have all of the frames the seats and the cockpit,
thanks Michael
Mike
Denver CO USA
PS just let me know the cost of shipping and the price

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:31 pm 
If anyone out there has a Klepper T65 frame, please get in touch with me. I need 4 parts to complete my frame; frame 5, seat, backrest and coaming. If I had good photos of each part I think I can make them. Then I can order a skin. I purchassed this at a yard sale with just the long bag. Thanks, Jan

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2013 12:10 pm 
forum fanatic

I have been collecting old folders and doing quite a bit of restoration over the last few years. Here are a couple of my suggestions: 1. Patcool.de, in Potsdam, have lots of old parts. However, they seem reluctant to ship to the USA (I purchased a Gesa Moell from them on Ebay and had to have the boat sent to a friend in Germany because they refused to ship directly to me. Maybe with some direct contact, you might get them to cooperate and sell you the parts). 3. Ebay.de sometimes has old Klepper parts listed. 3. Faltboot.de has a sales "Biete" section which occasional lists old frames for sale. 4. I have made lots of parts myself. Its fun, but requires lots of tools, space, pictures and time. Sometimes it is the only choice for parts that no longer exist. I obtained rough-cut white ash from Paxton lumber, marine plywood from Boulter Plywood, aluminum sheet from Online Metals and aluminum rivets from Jay-Cee Sales and Rivet (rivetsinstock.com). I was able to duplicate three ribs for a Gesa Sporteiner recently after a fair amount of trial and error. With a Klepper, the aluminum parts would be the most difficult part to duplicate, but the plywood ribs and longerons should be easy to build. I have also been making skins using Sunbrella fabric and PVC-coated polyester from Seattle Fabrics using an old Consew walking foot sewing machine. The hulls I have made are not as perfect as an original, given that I am not a professional, but they are a lot lighter and just as water-tight.

steve

Klepper A I & II
Klepper T- 9
Klepper T-65
Klepper T-66
Klepper T-67
Klepper SL-59
Klepper Vagabund 1929
Pioneer 450WA
Hammer Wandereiner
Hart Sioux Turbillon
Gesa Moell