Portage

Paddling technique, boat packing technique, anything having to do with how to use a piece of equipment (except sailing, which has its own section).

Moderator: chrstjrn

Fristrom
paddler

Portage

Post by Fristrom »

Hi
As being a total newbie with folders I might ask questions that is very basic in this forum. Anyhow, I am planning on a trip into the Swedish mountains (Lappland) that will include a number of rapids and falls that I absolutely not will let myself into. Some will be possible to guide the kayak with rope walking in the water (english for this please), but we will need to carry a number of times. My question is; will you always empty the kayak totally even for a short lift? How much weight can the folder take on land with one person lifting the front and one in the back, eventually with a caddy i n the middle? Terrain will sometimes be ruff. The folder is a Nautiraid Grand Raid 540 Exp.
Ola at 64° 45′ 0″ N, 20° 57′ 0″
/Nautiraid Grand Raid II 540 Expedition/

idc
lord high faltbotmeister

Re: Portage

Post by idc »

Lining is the term you want for guiding a canoe/kayak through shallow or fast flowing water with ropes. The folding kayaks the various military forces use are designed to be strong enough to be carried fully-loaded with pretty heavy loads. I would be cautious about doing that with any of my kayaks, if we are talking about a proper heavy expedition load. I would definitely take the heaviest items out, if only because it would make carrying so much easier. I do do it for day trips though, where all that is loaded in my klepper or wayland is a folding trolley, a change of clothes and some sandwiches.

Sounds like a great trip you have planned.
Ian

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

If I was going to do actual rapids, where the boat had a good chance of banging into rocks, I'd use an inflatable, not a folder.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

Fristrom
paddler

Post by Fristrom »

Life is often a compromise, I would also like to do the Fjords of northern Norway and I think the Grand Raid will be a good choice for that. Some of the lakes in Lapland is quite big as well. I will definitely not take any chances in rapids, an accident without telephone coverage and nearest road 50 km over the mountains is not good. You understand why I plan for carrying and lining. Also buying an inflatable would probably stretch economy and wife's patience a bit :)
Ola at 64° 45′ 0″ N, 20° 57′ 0″
/Nautiraid Grand Raid II 540 Expedition/

mje
Site Admin

Post by mje »

Consider putting foam sleeping mats between the skin and frame- a technique used by one folding canoe maker for white water applications.
Michael Edelman
FoldingKayaks.org Webmaster

kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

mje wrote:Consider putting foam sleeping mats between the skin and frame- a technique used by one folding canoe maker for white water applications.
Dang, that is a good idea..
When lining in rivers or sea, I attach 1xline to bow and 1x to stern, this gives great control/angle of attack to water flow and therefore makes the current do ALL the hard work. Similar to a ferry glide in the sea.
Enjoy, Wayne

Return to “Techniques”