Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 3:26 pm 
recent arrival

Hi everybody, I'm Kev and live in Southampton, a major seaport in Hampshire, England.

I'm 56 and began kayaking in the open sea three years ago, since then I'm on my fifth kayak which currently is a HDPE rotomoulded 16-foot sit-upon intended for angling. I'm a keen competition sea angler, travelling across the UK to compete at national level, and thought that kayaking angling would improve my inshore species skills, instead of which the kayak angling competition scene is booming and I'm taking part more and more. At present I find the ease of remounting a SOT in my favour as I often go out to sea alone, the shipping lanes are busy and I wouldn't want to trouble the Coastguard.

As a youngster I used to borrow fibre-glass eskimo kayaks for harbour races, and I've borrowed more modern ones recently. I do a lot of work with my hands and, if time prevailed, would love to build a folding tourer of my own. I've published a few "How To" articles for kayak anglers to fettle their rides. I've also prototyped and got a UK Regd. Design (like a patent) on an emergency military shelter, using the same materials I'd need for a kayak, so I'm not concerned about sticking my neck out or asking stupid questions if I can't find an answer.

I doubt I can contribute much, but will if I can, and I'll understand if my registration gets rescinded for lack of use.

PS I've never done anything I thought was mad, it's only my mates who call me this. Dunno why.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:30 pm 
lord high faltbotmeister

Welcome Kev, you sound like a fit add to this eclectic group. There are a few home builders here, but mostly store bought. But your experience with fishing will be a welcomed addition.

g

1990's A1 Expedition
2010 Klepper Quattro
Kayaksailer
Balogh sail rig, 24 + 36 HP
Torqeedo outboard
1938 Sachs-Fichtel seitenbordmotor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 5:44 pm 
knight of the folding kayak realm

Hi Kev and welcome. You've found a good resource here on foldingkayaks.org.

http://yostwerks.org/ has excellent instructions for building a touring folder from aluminium tube and pvc, if those are materials you can work with. I've reskinned a second-hand folder (a Tyne Prefect) using Yost's instructions and it worked pretty well.

If woodwork is more your thing you might try digging out Percy Blandford's designs (PBK kayaks). He published at least one folder.

There are other instructions for skin-on-frame around the web. Many assume that you're in the States in terms of getting hold of materials. One resource that doesn't is the kayarchy pages. They are a pretty interesting resource and include a section on build your own:
http://www.kayarchy.com/html/01equipmen ... ematerials

There is a small community of self-builders on the British SongofthePaddle open canoe website. Obviously many of them are building open canoes, but there are plenty of people there who paddle both open canoes and kayaks and I'm sure you might find some help and advice there--if you need it. It sounds like you've got some ideas and we look forward to hearing more!

Good luck!
Ian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:26 am 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

I see that Yostwerks has been resurrected. That's good news!

Non-folding: Early '90s Old Town Canoe.
Previously owned '04 Pakboat Puffin II and '05 Swift (prototype), as well as an '84 Hobie 16.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:18 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Kev, welcome. if you are thinking of building a folder,or even one that dosn,t come appart. If you are considering a Percy W Blandford design, (wood frames) then look at Clark Craft for ideas or plans, also if you want a sailing kayak look at thje Trika Trimaran, a non-folder but it looks quite good. You should consider coming over to the Isles of Scilly as this is one of the best places in England for paddling,sailing and i think fishing although i don,t fish.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 6:42 am 
recent arrival

Thank you all for the acknowledgements and hints. MK