Commuting on Regents Canal's (in London) by folding kayak.

A place to answer questions from newcomers.

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

halleluwah

Commuting on Regents Canal's (in London) by folding kayak.

Post by halleluwah »

Hello,

Since it is sort of in my commute direction I've become interested in kayaking some of my commute along The Regent's Canal. The journey would be about 1 mile (unless I deliberately take a long route). I wouldn't use it in the rain or when it is very windy and the Canal is pretty calm so I don't think it would have to withstand anything rough. Here are some images for reference: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.53666 ... 312!8i6656

The main thing is that it should be compact enough so that it can be jogged with and perhaps something that doesn't take too long to inflate. I understand this may not be a possible. I'm hoping some can give their thoughts and this and perhaps any recommendations. Thanks.

halleluwah

Re: Commuting on Regents Canal's (in London) by folding kaya

Post by halleluwah »

I should say I have only used a kayak a few times. I now feel like an idiot for confusing folding kayaks with inflatable kayaks which is what I'm actually thinking of.

idc
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by idc »

A packraft perhaps?
Or an Oru Kayak. They fold and unfold very quickly. The Feathercraft Aironaut (if you can find one second hand) might work for you.
Probably the packraft is the only one you would realistically want to jog with. (Unless you're a Royal Marine commando, in which case a Klepper might do.)

Chris

Post by Chris »

That would be a fantastic commute!

I was thinking about the Oru, too, but it is probably to big for jogging. Advanced elements (AE) makes the BackYak that is very light (6.6lbs US) the AE firefly is still Ok light and a bit more sturdy. But I think the lighter and easier to inflate the worse the performance on the water.

Maybe you can get an old hard-shelled kayak that you can tie up somewhere.

tsunamichuck
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Post by tsunamichuck »

I like the Innova Safari. Tracks well with a fin. About 25 lbs
Feathercraft Kahuna ( Angela )
Mariner Express ( Miruku Maru ) ( In Storage)
Northwest Sportee (SuperBoat)
Innova Safari
Mariner I
Feathercraft Java
Nautiraid 14
Innova Sunny
Aire Tributary Sawtooth

CanvasClipper

Post by CanvasClipper »

tsunamichuck wrote:I like the Innova Safari. Tracks well with a fin. About 25 lbs
Agree on the Safari. But probably not gonna be running with it.

Why not add a Brompton folding bike to the mix and turn your commute into a bike/kayak experience. :D

Return to “What boat for me?”