Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 12:48 pm 
faltbootemeister

I've got a couple of old Klepper paddles that have some delamination. The biggest issue on both is that some of the outer mahogany lamination, which is paper thin, is coming off. I was going to try to glue it down, and then I thought, what's the point? I'm thinking of stripping off whatever is loose and then sheathing the blades with lightweight fiberglass--maybe 2 oz--and epoxy. That's how I make canoe paddles. Is there any reason not to try this?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 11:04 pm 
faltbootemeister

That should work well. You could also re-glue the laminations with epoxy. I would wrap it in wax paper and clamp. Tape the clamps or blocks just in case.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:22 pm 
faltbootemeister

The problem is the paddle is curved, making it hard to clamp. What do you suggest? The clamping block needs to be curved.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:05 pm 
Brotherhood of the Golden Paddle

Are they really worth repairing? My best paddle for my Aerius 2 is a Nautiraid Eskimo. Quite slender blades and I think they make one the same length as the one Klepper provide with their boats, also a longer length if you wanted one. Which is what I have. (I threw away my delaminated Klepper ones)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 3:24 pm 
faltbootemeister

Epoxy does not require high pressure. You just need enough to hold the laminations together. A couple of clamps over doorskin might do it, or Styrofoam.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2018 5:47 pm 
faltbootemeister

Are they worth repairing? I suppose they are, but not worth putting a lot time and effort into it. I think I'll do something quick and dirty. I do like the Nautiraid Eskimo paddles. I've got a little experience making canoe paddles; maybe a kayak paddle is next on the list!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:35 pm 
faltbootemeister

In that case you might just use some gorilla tape and keep it as a spare paddle.
My Dad made a paddle from a spruce 2x4 by just carving it down. It is light, flexible and easy to use. It is my favorite paddle, largely because age and shoulder injuries make wider blades a literal pain.