Folding Kayaks Forum

The user forum for FoldingKayaks.org
It is currently Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:21 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:42 am 
forum fan

Hello,
I have a metal maststep , with plastic cup, that I am planning to screw to the tubing of my GII. I have also been considering epoxing it, as well. Is this too permanent a solution? In otherwords, will just the screws hold?
thanks G

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:41 pm 
faltbootemeister

I have been using just screws for years on multiple Balogh-equipped Folbots with no trouble. I have had the lock nuts that hold the mast cup to the plate back out.

On my rigs the mast has enough play within the mast partner for the mast to lean out of vertical if the mast cup is mislocated. A small change at the foot makes for a large change at the head. For what it's worth, I start the plate installation by mounting the crosstube on the washboards and erecting the entire mast. The mast foot sits in the mast cup on the unmounted plate. A second person eyes the mast from several feet away, both end on and broadside. When the mast is properly aligned, I mark for one hole in the tubing. After removing the mast I drill a pilot hole and attach the plate with one screw, which allows the plate to rotate. Then the mast goes back up for another alignment check before marking for a second pilot hole.

Of course after two holes the location of the plate cannot be changed. If, after mounting the plate, the mast is leaning one way or another, relocate the mast cup rather than the plate.

From what I have been told, ideally the mast should lean aft just a bit. I prefer to install with the mast squarely seated in the mast cup and little or no initial torque on the mast partner.

I hope this helps you. Installing a Balogh rig can be a nail-biter as you only get one shot at drilling several holes.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 2:10 pm 
forum fan

Hello Ranger Tim,
Thanks for the very helpful reply. You are right, it is a bit of a nail biter! I just spoke to Jon at sailyourkayak and he gave me a number of useful pointers, as well.

One of the things he told me that surprised me was the placement of the sail rig. Previously i had only heard of placing it in front of the middle rib. He said, however, that he places it to the rear of the middle rib. Just behind the foot brace rudder control.

Now, i can see how this can make controlling the sail a heck of a lot easier. But, i have been wondering about other operations with this set up. I fish, for instance. Would a more forward sail placement be more advantageous? I have a hard time trying to imagine the setup. And it would be nice to know a little before i start drilling holes. Do you have any thoughts on the best placement for various activities?
Thanks g

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2018 5:33 pm 
faltbootemeister

I cannot speak to any crosstube location other than well forward, as I need to use the same crosstube on an Aleut, a Yukon, and a GII. The GII is almost exclusively a solo expedition boat for me. I sit amidships, so a crosstube near a middle rib wouldn't work for me anyway.

See here for my mast location. viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7277

While great for a solo sailor, for a tandem configuration the mast is in a somwhat awkward position for the forward person. I have configured my GII as a tandem and taken people sailing, but I wouldn't want to sit forward for hours and hours.

I believe for maximum sailing efficiency the mast should be forward of the leeboard in an attempt to have the location of the center of effort be the same as the center of resistance. Unless you run a jib (which Balogh does not recommend but which some sailors, including me on occasion, do anyway), to accomplish this on a Folbot would require separate crosstubes, one for the mast and one for the akas and leeboard. That is too much trouble for me. Folbots, especially the GII, are not speedy boats to begin with. I am happy enough with the speed produced by my simple rig.

Klepper: AEI - Jonathan Waterman's boat
Hardshells x6

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:11 pm 
forum fan

Gouthro, do you have the Folbot upwind kit or a Balogh?
I have the Folbot (which I have yet to see anyone say they love) and the boom is long and if not mounted in the forward position on a GII, would require you to be pretty vigilant about it not smacking you in the head and you would be doing a lot of ducking, whereas if it is in the forward position you are more apt to have it only taking off pieces of your nose every now and then.

Balogh rigs I've seen, being gaff-rigged, are entirely different (and everyone says far better performing) animals.

Just my two cents.

Folbot Cooper (2013)
Airis iSUP
C4 Waterman V1/14 SUP

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2018 1:53 pm 
forum fan

Hello davids,
Thanks for responding. I have the balogh rig, which i have previously used on a hardshell kayak, so i do know that i Like the rig.

I am just now sitting on the sofa, looking at the installation instructions and contemplating drilling those holes. A scary proposition!

I believe it will suit my purposes better to step the mast just behind the front seat, rather than further aft, as i had been earlier contemplated. I dont imagine there is any reason why i couldn't also put a mast step further aft as well, thus giving me two possibilities. I have an extra mast step and cup. The only downside i can see is drilling some extra holes in the washboard. And i dont think that would be a big problem.

Thanks to everone who has helped.
Joe