Favorite paddling locations to share

Moderators: mje, chrstjrn, krudave

KanonBear
forum fanatic

NYC & Long Island

Post by KanonBear »

alleypond_640.jpg
alleypond_640.jpg (93.22 KiB) Viewed 518 times
I certainly wouldn't say that New York City is the most beautiful place to paddle, especially having seen the many wonderful places that other forum members have been to. However, the more I paddle around this city where I've virtually spent my entire life in, the more surprises I've found. There are simply many 'nooks and crannies' among the city's waterways that make you forget that you're in a large metropolitan center.

If there's other members of the forum that either live, have lived, or have paddled in the NYC/Long Island area, I'd love to hear what places in the area you've enjoyed paddling.

(Photo: Alley Creek, Queens)
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

drumset

Re: NYC & Long Island

Post by drumset »

I'm new to paddling (except for childhood adventures with my father and grandfather, on Torch Lake in northern Michigan, in a skin-on-frame kayak that my father had built decades ago), and I'm just assembling my equipment and plan to start this summer. And first on my list of places to try is Piermont, on the Hudson River, just over the Tappan Zee Bridge. There is a wildlife estuary there, which looks a lot like your picture, and a public launch area. I'd love to hear of other places in the NYC area. I do get out to the East end of Long Island, particularly Montauk, occasionally, too, and always wondered where people kayak out there.

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

I do some paddling on Long Island. Much of the marine environments are about the same –– mostly tidal estuaries. Some, like the Nissequogue and Carmans rivers, are more pristine and untouched, others are more developed. On the south shore, you have the Great South Bay, which could be a pretty substantial open crossing depending on your location. Smith Point on the east end of Fire Island is a nice destination to paddle. It reminds me of Robert Moses Beach but with virtually no people.

This past weekend, I was on the Connetquot River. It's mostly developed with private homes and boats, but there is a nice arboretum that you can paddle along. There's also a canal that, apparently, is a remnant from the old Vanderbilt estate in Oakdale. The mansion has been converted into a building for Dowling College.

One drawback about Long Island is that you can rarely find a spot where you feel like you've gotten away from everybody; the island is very densely populated. Even seemingly secluded areas often have other paddlers or boaters around. Once in a while, though, you do find a spot like that. However, I would never want to tell people where they are!
Feathercraft Kahuna 2001

Jahga79

Post by Jahga79 »

You have got to try the Bronx river. Put in at shoelace park. It's a nice run through the Bronx botanic gardens.

BobK

Post by BobK »

I am very close to Alley Pond Creek entering from the Sound. Hope to be there in the next few days. I heard it was beautiful, and I love the photo.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

This is an old thread, but why not?
I paddle Long Island bays and rivers, but mostly in winter. In summer I generally sail, though I paddle from beaches while my wife sunbathes. In winter you are often the only boat around. I use small sailboats off season too, it's sublime.

JohnSand
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by JohnSand »

We had a warm weekend ten days ago. Saturday was windy, moderate to fresh with a small craft advisory up, but warm. I wanted to paddle somewhere sheltered, I picked Wading River. It's really a creek in a tidal marsh, appropriately named as you can walk it at low tide. The east shore of the marsh has nice homes, the west is preserved. Ironically, the west side is wild because of the nuclear power plant started there before local development. The plant is idle, never used, but the woods are beautiful.
Attachments
WR Folbot.png
WR Folbot.png (47.25 KiB) Viewed 402 times

KerryOnKayaks
lord high faltbotmeister

Post by KerryOnKayaks »

I used to kayak with a buddy who lived in Fairfield, Connecticut and was a fishing guide and expert sea kayaker. One of my favorite outings with him was putting in early morning from the parking lot under the east end of the Commodore Hull Bridge on Route 8 and paddling the 9 miles or so down the Housatonic and then winding through the salt water marsh maze of Wheeler Wildlife Area (came around one bend and flushed 9 white herons), venturing out a little bit into the open Sound and then heading back up river with a stop at one of the restaurants with a dock for an early supper and finishing the trip paddling back upstream to the take out in the dark, which is quite magical in an area with so much ambient light along the banks.

Another fun day was paddling out and around the Thimble Islands east of Branford, CT (though many of them are private so the owners frown upon boats landing on their shores.)
Current:
Feathercraft Wisper
Pakboat Quest 135
Pakboat Puffin 12
Pakboat Swift 14
Greenland SOF
P & H Easky 15LV
Curtis Lady Bug solo canoe
Previous:
Feathercraft Kahuna
Feathercraft K-1 Expedition
Pakboat XT-15