Military Kayaks

Moderators: mje, krudave

Kapitän von Klepper

Military Kayaks

Post by Kapitän von Klepper »

This thread is continued from:4x4's

I like this thread, but I'm just doing a little house keeping, trying to keep the 4x4 thread about motor vehicles :)

Paul wrote:Hi Kaptain,

Those discs are hatches. They are 13.5cm in diameter, one in the bow and one in the stern. I know because I'm investigating these Grand Raids myself!

You'll notice the stern holds a square looking bucket. What do you think this is for? On the Nautiraid website the photo of its 'military' kayak has the same 'bucket.'

These kayaks also have heavy gauge D rings fore and aft of the cockpit for lifting and dropping out of helicopters and what not.

Paul
I thought they probably were. 13.5cm seems really small, but if they work the same way as the port on my Camelback, they could be a really good design. Does anyone have any experience with these?

(Link)

I can't see what the buckets are behind. Are they inside an extention of the cockpit or do they fit above the deck?

Those D-rings, -I wonder if they lift the kayaks with the paddlers in place with a helicopter? I'd really have to have a lot of faith in them to do that :shock: !

I found the original galery from which that photo came, but I couldn't find that or any other kayak pics :( It may have been moved.

Link:

I'm adding it to my favourites so I can check from time to time.

-Andreas

Christov_Tenn

Is That A Girl?

Post by Christov_Tenn »

Is that a female forward in the leftmost kayak :?:

Ron

Post by Ron »

I'm not sure if they would actually recover these boats by hoisting them with paddlers in them. You'd have to have some awfully strong D-rings and probably a reinforced hull to winch up 2 paddlers with a full combat load - weapons, ammunition, et al. But they could certainly deploy them that way from a smaller vessel.

Deployment from a helo is called "helo-casting" and is normally done with zodiacs - I think that's the sponson of one on the far right in the photo. The boat slides out the back as the helo cruises slowly over the surface about 5-10 meters up. The crew jumps with it, but not while actually IN the boat (I think the shock of hitting the water while in the boat w/gear around you might hurt a bit!). Once in the water they climb in and either start paddling or set up the outboard.

For a kayak to be deployed like this, you'd have to have people who could right the boat when it rolled - because it probably would. But this isn't the kind of boat you can roll, anyway, hence the reason I don't think they'd do it that way.

This is a great picture - thanks for posting it!

Ron

Kapitän von Klepper

Ron: Thank Paul for posting it, -if you follow the link (Click on the LandRover), it'll take you back to the 4x4 section where he posted it. I was just doing some house keeping, anticipating some interest in this pic.

Chris: I was wondering the same thing, but it's really difficult to establish gender with all the gear on.

-Andreas

Paul
knight of the folding kayak realm

Post by Paul »

I can't see what the buckets are behind. Are they inside an extention of the cockpit or do they fit above the deck?
The buckets attach to the rear deck via a buckle and strap system. This type of receptical has been requested by various militaries, I have been told.

13.5cm hatches are probably just large enough to move stuff around. Better than no hatch at all, in my view. Having hatches on my LH, I wouldn't want to be without them. It's a convenience thing.

Translated from French:
"The kayak is another means of infiltration very much used. It allows a quiet approach, but limit the quantity of material which the men can carry. The type currently used is the two-seater `Nautiraid Commando Mk4'. Eight specimens are in service. They can them also be parachuted. "
http://www.mil.be/vox/subject/index.asp ... 247&PAGE=2

Paul

Post by Paul »

I could use a bucket like that to hold my fish!

Kapitän von Klepper

Paul; I imagine it could be great for fishing! I saw your newer pics of the queenfish, nice catch!

BTW, I went to the http://www.faltboot.de site, but I still couldn't directly get the story on these kayaks. Do you know the date or the topic on the posting?

While surfing around I found this pic on that site. I wonder if all those people are in that tent? And what do they do if the water rises?

-Andreas

Paul

Post by Paul »

Search for 'nautiraid grand raid.' The thread comes up under response #12, "Bundeswehr faltboote--erwerb ratsaw." I think I have the spelling correct on that.

I wish I spoke German. There seems to be much information on that site.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Search for 'nautiraid grand raid.' The thread comes up under response #12, "Bundeswehr faltboote--erwerb ratsaw." I think I have the spelling correct on that.

I wish I spoke German. There seems to be much information on that site.

Ron

My mistake

Post by Ron »

Sorry Andreas - thanks for the pics!

Ron

Kapitän von Klepper

Members of http://www.faltboot.de were able to help me find the above pic as well.

I tried searching the Faltboot site with your search words, and only found someones answer to my posting :?

Paul, this has a slightly better view of the "bucket" This site:Nautiraid has a photolink for the "expedition", but the pic is missing. :?

-Andreas

Paul

Post by Paul »

Here's a detailed description of a military spec Grand Raid 540. It appears to come with an improved steering system.

http://www.totalmat.com.br/catalogo/Mil ... 20VI-3.pdf
LH Mark I
Nautiraid Grand Raid 540
SOF Greenland Kayak

Ron

Post by Ron »

Good find, Paul.

I like those rudder pedals - no stirrups. Nice.

I also like the fact that the rudder can be stowed on the deck/flipped up.

KanonBear
forum fanatic

Post by KanonBear »

I've been noticing from the scarce images available on the internet that the rudder in newer Nautiraids have changed. Their 2007 & 2008 catalogs also show a different rudder. It almost looks like a Feathercraft-type rudder.

Have anyone seen or heard anything about the new rudders?

Paul

Post by Paul »

I have the new rudder on mine. I don't have much experience with the older rudders so I can't comment on the differences. If the older rudders don't flip completely up, then the newer rudders do have an advantage. The older rudders, though, were a bit larger and are thus probably better for sailing.

When I bought my GR 540 I was told that the only difference between a stock GR 540 and the military version was 4mm of neoprene on the interior floor of the military kayaks. Aside from the way the spray covers attach to the deck (zippers on the military version) and some deck fittings, that appears to be the case. I'm guessing the steering system is relatively new.
LH Mark I
Nautiraid Grand Raid 540
SOF Greenland Kayak

Return to “Nautiraid”